Breast cyst – a common pathology, which is a capsule with liquid contents in the ducts of the breast. In this article we will talk about the types, causes, methods of diagnosis and treatment of breast cyst.
Many women today are interested in issues related to breast disease. In particular, this has to do with one of the most common ailments – the breast cyst. According to medical statistics, women who have no children most often encounter this disease.
What is a breast cyst
Under the cyst of the mammary gland is understood a single or multiple pathology of the abdominal mass, in the ducts of which something similar to a capsule with liquid contents is formed.
In medicine, breast cysts are usually classified because they differ in size, shape, and structure.
What are the types of cysts of the breast
Atypical cyst – A benign neoplasm expanding into the cavity due to the absence of walls. Often formed in the extended duct of the gland. May recur and inflame. In addition, benign and malignant papillomatous masses may be present in the cavity.
Fibrous cyst – a neoplasm that plays a significant role in the occurrence of oncology in the mammary gland. A distinctive feature of the cyst is an increase in connective tissue, which leads to the appearance of cavities in which fluid accumulates. This fluid then begins to stand out from the nipples.
Adipose cyst – A benign neoplasm with smooth walls, filled with milk. Formed as a result of blockage of the sebaceous gland during pregnancy or lactation.
Solitary cyst – Benign neoplasm, in which the liquid is of a different color. Such a breast cyst resembles a dense capsule. It affects only one breast.
Multichamber cyst – small neoplasms form in the chest, which eventually merge into a single cyst.
Ductal cyst – Benign education that appears in women in adulthood. Ductal cystic formation is referred to as a precancerous condition.
Causes of breast cyst
Why do cysts appear in the mammary glands? There are a lot of reasons. Here are the most common causes of breast cyst:
- hormonal disbalance;
- pregnancy and childbirth;
- long-term use of hormonal contraceptives;
- traumatic injuries of the mammary glands;
- previously performed breast surgery;
- UV – radiation;
- frequent experiences and severe stress;
- inflammation of the breast (mastitis);
- violation of hormonal ovarian function;
- inflammation of the genital organs;
- intellectual loads;
- neuro-psychological stress;
- susceptibility to problems;
- weight gain;
- unhealthy diet;
- degenerative disease of the thoracic spine;
- biliary dyskinesia.
Watch the video with the doctor about the causes of breast cyst.
Any type of breast cyst may manifest painful sensations before menstruation. Women do not pay attention to such pains because they associate them with premenstrual syndrome.
Symptoms of Breast Cyst
If the size of the cyst is small, then it can proceed without any changes. Complaints appear only when a breast cyst is palpated.
- feeling of constant burning and heaviness
- in the second phase of menstrual pain in the mammary glands increases;
- a dense formation appears in the chest;
- discomfort in the lower part of the abdominal cavity;
- discharge from the nipple fluid;
- distorted breast shape; / li
- unevenness is felt during palpation of the site near the cyst.
If inflammation occurs in the breast cyst, the following symptoms appear:
- severe pain in the place where the cyst is located;
- decrease in working capacity.
A woman can examine and test her breasts herself, and if any suspicious seals are detected, contact a specialist. How to do this, read the article breast self-examination.
Is breast cyst dangerous?
What is dangerous cyst in the breast? Doctors believe that the cyst in the chest does not pose a danger to the health of the woman, but you still should not remain indifferent to this ailment. New growth very rarely develops into breast cancer. But there is always a risk of inflammation and suppuration, leading either to the development of purulent mastitis, or to the appearance of a cancerous tumor.
Signs of the development of an oncological process in the mammary gland:
- hardening of the skin on the affected area and drawing it in;
- damage to the epithelial tissue of the skin;
- redness of the nipples and the appearance of fluid from them;
- the formation of lemon peel;
- breast deformity;
- in the place where the lesion occurs, the nipple is pulled in;
- when palpation of the mammary gland, the knot is very clearly distinguished under the fingers;
- pronounced asymmetry of the mammary glands.
In order to respond in time to the slightest changes, it is necessary after the end of the month to conduct an independent examination of the mammary glands.
If during an independent examination any changes were found, then you should not panic, First of all, you should contact your antenatal clinic to see your gynecologist, who will give a referral to an oncologist. Wait when your assumptions are confirmed in reality is not worth it.
Is cyst reborn in cancer?
Breast cyst, does not bear any danger to the life of a woman. Of course, it adversely affects life itself due to several reasons, but this disease is rarely attributed to pathology, which is reborn into oncology. Despite this, its nodal forms are quite capable of pushing the development of a malignant tumor, since the mammary gland cyst is the background for the development of oncology.
Faced with such a disease, women start to panic, and this is not worth doing. You just need to consult a doctor in a timely manner and begin treatment.
Breast cyst diagnosis
In order to diagnose a breast cyst, the doctor first examines the breast and prescribes diagnostic tests for the woman:
- Mammography – X-ray of the mammary glands. This procedure reveals the location of the cyst, then the shape and size. Next comes the determination of the site for puncture of the wall of cystic formation. All women (from the age of 45) should have a mammogram, since it is during this period that there is a high risk of developing oncology.
- Magnetic resonance imaging – allows you to review and accurately describe the tumor. In addition, MRI is able to calculate the slightest changes in the tissue that surrounds the cyst.
- Ultrasound of the mammary glands – examines the shape, size of the cyst and reveals the presence of parietal formations inside the cyst. With ultrasound, the elastography method is used, thanks to which the elasticity of the tissues of the studied material is evaluated. Ultrasound is recommended for women under 30 years old.
- Cytological analysis – biological material is taken from a neoplasm. With this analysis, the doctor recognizes a malignant cyst or not.
- Doppler studies – during such a diagnosis, specialists can identify a breast cyst with a smooth wall of the same thickness. If the contents of the capsule are uniform and there is no constant movement of the blood, then this indicates the benign nature of such a neoplasm.
- Pneumocystography – provides detailed information about the walls of the cyst capsule. The essence of this study is that air is introduced into the cavity in order to study the walls of the cyst.
The final diagnosis is established after a biopsy (in vivo collection of cells from the body).
Is it necessary to treat a breast cyst?
On the question of whether to treat a breast cyst, the answer can be only one – it is necessary.
How to treat a breast cyst? The main methods of treating breast cyst
Methods of treatment of breast cyst can be divided into several ways: conservative therapy, surgery and folk remedies.
If a breast cyst is detected in the early stages and its size does not exceed 0.5 mm, then the doctor will not remove such a tumor. A woman should be checked every year not only by a gynecologist, an endocrinologist and an immunologist, but also by a breast specialist, who will select the right conservative therapy.
Getting rid of a cyst can help:
- modern drugs (help restore hormonal balance in the body);
- puncture (a small piercing is done, the fluid is pumped out and a special solution is injected, due to which the capsule disappears);
- aspiration (from the cavity of the neoplasm with a thin tube draw out the liquid).
Surgical intervention. Breast cyst surgery
When therapy does not bring results, the specialist prescribes the removal of the breast cyst surgically. Another surgical intervention is necessary if medication has not brought the desired effect or it turns out that the cyst may be malignant. The operation takes place under general anesthesia. The surgeon cuts a cystic formation from the breast and the part of the tissue with which it is surrounded. When the operation comes to an end, the doctor puts a neat suture, which after the recovery period becomes almost imperceptible.
Treatment of breast cyst folk remedies
Sometimes an excellent result is the treatment of breast cyst folk remedies. This method of treatment involves the use of only natural products. Before using grandma’s recipes, you should consult with a specialist so that no serious consequences arise in the future.
Breast cyst prevention
The best prevention of cystic education is an annual visit to the doctor’s mammologist. The specialist will schedule an examination that will help detect and prevent the development of a breast cyst in early stages. In addition, he will teach self-examination methods.
If a woman watches over her health, then she should conduct an independent examination of the mammary glands once every 30 days after the end of the month.
Even with the purpose of prevention should follow simple rules:
- limit the use of tea, coffee and dark chocolate,
- reduce the amount of salt in the food consumed,
- wear a comfortable supporting bra.
A cyst in a neglected form is dangerous not only for the health of the woman, but also for her life. Therefore, it is necessary to find out in advance all the details about this ailment: what is a benign formation, what are his symptoms and what reasons contribute to its appearance.
As for the treatment of breast cyst, this should be decided after a thorough examination. True, most often this disease does not need treatment, but observation.