One of the most common eye diseases is chalazion of the upper eyelid. The appearance of this pathology is often confused with barley on the eye due to similar symptoms. Chalazion is characterized by a tumor-like formation ranging in size from a few mm to 1 cm or more, without severe pain and signs of inflammation. The infection can join again.
What is the chalazion of the upper eyelid
On the upper eyelid, on the inner side, the sebaceous (meibomian) glands are located. They highlight a special secret, which is necessary for lubrication of the eyelids, sclera, eyeball. Thanks to this substance, the eye does not dry out, friction is reduced, the eyeball is covered with a protective lipid film, which mixes with the tear, thereby helping in hydration.
In case of violation of the normal secretion secretion, blocking the ducts of meibomian glands, lipid lubricant accumulates, forming a tumor in the upper eyelid. The accumulated secret eventually capsularizes, becoming an excellent nutrient medium for pathogenic bacteria. At this point, the inflammatory process begins, but this is an optional scenario of the development of the disease.
Chalazion capsule is very dense, at the stage of its formation, conservative treatment becomes almost useless. It is important to diagnose the disease in time and start the correct treatment, preferably until the moment of compaction and clearance of the accumulated secret in the capsule. If this has already happened, an injection inside the tumor or a radical surgical removal is indicated.
Chalazion upper eyelid occurs with the same frequency in adults and children. With the right approach, it is possible to avoid the operation, to solve the problem by using a combination of home and medical drugs. On what day the chalazion of the upper eyelid will resolve, depends on its size and the correctness of the chosen therapy.
If you notice some kind of condensation on the upper eyelid, perhaps the size of only a small pea, do not be lazy to go for a consultation with an ophthalmologist. The main problem of complications of a chalazion is a low symptom course, the absence of severe pain, which leads to advanced stages of the disease.
Complications are manifested in the form of inflammation of the tumor, increasing its size, pain when blinking, mechanical overlap of the visual field. Do not forget that the site of infection is close to the brain, which can lead to such consequences as meningitis. There are frequent cases of rebirth of a benign fatty cone on the eyelid in the cyst, and then in the tumor.
Causes of illness
The main cause of the development of the disease, as mentioned above, is a violation of the outflow of sebaceous gland secretion. Consider the causes of this condition.
Risk factors for the development of chalazion on the upper eyelid:
- Violation of the sebaceous glands, secretion of viscous, dense secretion.
- The anatomical structure and tortuosity of the channels of the meibomian gland, which provokes stagnation and congestion in the outflow path.
- Violation of metabolic processes in the body, hormonal levels, puberty.
- Non-compliance with the rules of personal hygiene, dirty hands.
- Inaccurate wearing of contact lenses, false eyelashes, an excess of cosmetics.
- Chronic systemic diseases of the body, diabetes, problems with the endocrine system, immunodeficiency.
- Inflammatory diseases of the eye – barley, blepharitis, conjunctivitis.
- Eye skin disease, peeling, which can be a factor in mechanical blockage of the duct.
- In children, chalazion is often a complication of colds, hypothermia, weathering of the face.
- Uncorrected farsightedness, which provokes constant squinting. The gland channels are constantly squeezed and can become clogged.
Symptoms and diagnosis
If you yourself do not understand the difference and can not distinguish between the chalazion and barley, for diagnosis, consult an ophthalmologist. The symptoms are really similar, and if the chalazion begins with signs of inflammation of the eyelid or as a complication after barley, then it is difficult to differentiate.
The symptoms of the development of chalazion upper eyelid are identical for adults and children. The only thing that a baby can have is brighter and more pronounced due to the underdevelopment of immunity. If children are ill, the use of home remedies and traditional medicine is not recommended, immediately contact a specialist.
Clinic Chalazion on the upper eyelid:
- in contrast to barley, chalazion cannot be external, a tumor is formed in the thickness of a century;
- in the early stages, the formation of a small size, feels like a pea;
- there is a feeling of mote in the eye;
- with an increase in the amount of accumulated secretion, the swelling grows, thickens, the skin over it tightens, thinner;
- the formed chalazion has a clear structure, the capsule with dense contents is palpable, the skin above the capsule is mobile, easily shifted or assembled into a fold;
- until the moment of inflammation, except for mechanical and aesthetic inconveniences, education does not bother the patient;
- if an infection joins, the tumor becomes inflamed, the upper eyelid swells, reddens, itching, soreness, watery eyes appear;
- periods of inflammation can smoothly flow into remission, forming scars;
- the formation of large sizes begins to mechanically interfere with blinking, vision, to press on the cornea, which is accompanied by discomfort in the eyeball.
What is the best way to treat chalazion on the upper eyelid
Treatment of chalazion upper eyelid implies 4 ways, each of which is good at a certain stage of the disease. Many successfully combine different methods, which brings a faster result.
- Folk ways.
- Ways of conservative treatment – combining points 1 and 2.
- Surgical method.
As mentioned above, non-surgical methods are effective before the formation of the capsule, when the contents of the duct can be softened and evacuated naturally. When the capsule is organized – this is a closed space. To help the tumor dissolve, steroid anti-inflammatory drugs can be injected into the capsule, but then as lucky. If this method does not work, the last step is surgery.
How to cure the chalazion of the upper eyelid without surgery
Drug treatment is divided into four main types:
- Eye drops – Floksal, Albucid, Tobreks, Tsifran.
- Ophthalmic ointments – mercury ointment, Maxidex, tetracycline ointment, hydrocortisone, Vishnevsky ointment.
- Injections into the tumor capsule – Kenalog, Diprospan, Triamcinolone acetate.
- Physiotherapy – electrophoresis, vibratory massage, UHF, warming.
As for folk methods, hot compresses and massage are popular. For compresses use aloe juice, decoction of chamomile, calendula, birch leaves, dill seeds. Dry heating is done using boiled eggs, potatoes or fried sea salt, which is poured into a tissue bag.
The massage is carried out in circular movements, from the center of attachment of the eyelid to the periphery along the ducts of the sebaceous gland. After the massage, it is necessary to walk along the edge of the eyelid with a cotton swab, collect particles of peeled skin and a drop of secreted secrets.
How to remove the chalazion on the upper eyelid
Removal of the chalazion on the eye of the upper eyelid occurs within 15 minutes, on an outpatient basis, under local anesthesia. Removal is done microscopically or with a laser. The two methods are almost the same, with the exception of the incision method (scalpel or carbon laser). All other steps are identical and are performed manually under the control of the microscope.
The tumor is removed along with the capsule, without opening the contents, which excludes infection of adjacent tissues. The incision may be outside the upper eyelid, on the skin or inside, from the side of the mucous membrane. In any case, the scars do not remain, as a rule, after 2-3 months all traces of the operation disappear.
See in the video how to remove the chalazion on the upper eyelid on an outpatient basis:
There is no specific prevention, there are a number of general recommended rules, the observance of which will help prevent the disease.
- Personal hygiene.
- Timely treatment of all chronic infections – blepharitis, caries, barley, conjunctivitis, sinusitis, sinusitis.
- With a tendency to stagnation in the ducts of the meibomian gland, do yourself a preventive drainage eye massage.
- A balanced diet, an adequate amount of vitamins in the diet.
- If the cause is a chronic disease of the body, you need to fight directly with him.
Now you know how to deal with Chalaz. Save the article to your bookmarks, not to forget and share information with friends on social networks, it can also be useful to them, be healthy.