Conjunctiva is a transparent film on the surface of the eyeball. It is she who is responsible for the lacrimal sheath, which does not allow the organs of vision to dry up.
Sometimes the conjunctiva becomes inflamed or acquires some lesions. They are not dangerous for the functioning of the eyes, but cause inconvenience and can lead to unpleasant consequences.
What is a conjunctival cyst and its types
A cyst is a conjunctival formation. It is not filled with anything and can disappear on its own. Often noticeable only in the morning. In general, cysts are called dermoid (benign). In appearance resembles a bubble.
Types of conjunctival cysts:
- teratoma (solid, retention, can turn into malignant);
- exudative (traumatic);
- pigment (drug);
- congenital (developmental anomaly, has a greater predisposition to growth).
The typology of the cyst can only be determined by a specialist.
If you find any strange formation on the conjunctiva, you should contact an ophthalmologist. You can not touch your eyes with your hands, rub and try to remove a probable cyst by yourself.
Means for moistening and protecting the sclera – instruction drops for the eyes of Iridin.
What is this disease iridocyclitis, read the article.
Conjunctival cyst may occur due to:
- fibrosis after conjunctivitis;
- eye injuries;
- surgical intervention;
- genetic factors.
A neoplasm may appear for no apparent reason or from simple rubbing of the eye.
Determining the cause of the cyst is important for the restoration of its type and the appointment of further therapy.
When the appointment of the eye drops Catarax is shown here.
Symptoms and diagnosis
You can suspect the presence of cysts on the following grounds:
- the presence of yellow or brown blotches on the white of the eye;
- pain in the eyes;
- the discomfort;
- protein redness;
- eye movement may occur;
- sometimes there is a cloudy spot with visual perception.
Sometimes a cyst does not show itself, except visibility on the sclera. Even if other symptoms are not felt, it is necessary to consult a specialist.
When an invisible enemy creates noticeable problems – eye demodecosis symptoms and treatment.
Diagnosis of education is not difficult. It is carried out using the application:
- visual inspection;
- histology and biopsy material (after removal).
Tissue examination after cyst removal is necessary to determine the atypical formation.
How to treat retinal dystrophy is described in detail in the article.
Before starting treatment, carefully read the annotations – instructions for use of eye drops Kathrom.
The choice of treatment method depends on:
- localization of education;
- degrees of distribution;
Conservative treatment includes:
- eye drops;
- injections of trichloroacetyl acid.
As eye drops prescribed:
- moisturizers (hyphenosis, Alkon Sistain, Slezin);
- anti-inflammatory (Dexamethasone, Endocollir, Tobradex).
During the treatment of conjunctival cysts, it is forbidden to use contact lenses in order to avoid additional infection.
So that the syndrome of “dry eye” does not interfere with living and working – Cationorm eye drops.
In the absence of the effect of conservative methods, the patient may be shown surgery:
- conducted in the presence of a volumetric education;
- local anesthesia and administration of a contrast agent is applied before the operation;
- the painted area is removed and a self-absorbable suture is applied;
- in some cases, plastic is held.
- necessary for small education;
- the affected area is cauterized by a special ray.
The advantages of laser surgery:
- short rehabilitation period;
- lack of cosmetic defect;
- bactericidal, anti-inflammatory effect;
- no chance of infection;
- passes almost always without complications.
This method does not apply to large formations due to the risk of conjunctival burns. Content heats up and a cyst rupture may occur.
After any intervention, a gentle regimen and anti-inflammatory therapy is prescribed to the patient. Prohibited:
- lift weights;
- use the swimming pool and sauna;
- use cosmetics;
- wear contact lenses.
In some cases, the treatment of cysts in a patient is not indicated. Regular outpatient monitoring and control specialist. Even after removal, there is a risk that pathology will return.
Possible festering tumors. Inspections should be carried out as often as possible.
What is the diagnostic method of keratometry read here.
What is the danger of the disease
The appearance of a conjunctival cyst per se is not dangerous. Running forms can result in:
- the growth of tumors;
- violation of visual function;
- increased intraocular pressure;
- the rebirth of pathology into a malignant form.
Any non-standard education on the sclera of the eye must be shown to a specialist.
If there is a need or a bad family history, it is better to immediately remove the cyst in order to avoid consequences.
A dangerous disease that cannot be cured is keratopathy.
Prognosis and prevention
The prognosis for detecting conjunctival cyst is favorable. If you contact an ophthalmologist in time, you can avoid any consequences. Preventive measures include:
- observance of hygienic norms and rules (removal of makeup, a ban on rubbing the eyes with the hands, etc.);
- timely specialist examinations;
- regular replacement of contact lenses in the case of using this method of vision correction;
We also recommend that you read our article that tells you how to put on lenses for the first time.
If the disease is manifested in relatives, the patient should seek advice from an ophthalmologist at least 2 times a year.
Reviews of treatment results
Reviews of patients say that the choice of method of treatment of conjunctival cysts is very individual. Conducting surgery or medical treatment is based on determining the size of the education and the degree of spread.
- Marina, 34 years old, Olenegorsk: “Conjunctival cysts treated twice. The first time – with the help of drops. She resolved quickly enough. Only now it is not clear: spontaneously or because of the effects of the drug. Now I had to have an operation, because the pathology has returned. It went very quickly. There is nothing already. ”
- Vladimir, 40 years old, Nizhny Novgorod: “Cyst appeared not so long ago. It grew very quickly. It became hard and painful to watch. The doctor decided to conduct surgery. After her eyes began to look terrible. I had to resort to plastic. Now everything is in order, I hope there will be no relapse.
- Svetlana, 58 years old, Saransk: “The grandson had a small formation on the white of the eye. Have shown it to the oculist. It turned out to be a cyst. The doctor has not recommended anything yet. And he was right. The cyst resolved on its own in just a couple of weeks. ”
This video will tell you in detail about the dermo-iodic conjunctival cyst.
Conjunctival cyst is a dermoid. It may occur due to various reasons: injury, surgery or spontaneous. Pathology itself does not pose a threat in the case of timely referral to a specialist. Drug therapy and surgery are used as treatment.