The plant belongs to the family Legumes. Previously, it was used only as animal feed. Now, with the help of red clover, they dye fabrics, dried heads are used as a dressing for soups, young stems and leaves are used as an additive for salads, chopped leaves are put into bread or tea is brewed with them.
This is a great honey plant.
Inflorescences – a storehouse of vitamins. They contain ascorbic acid, B vitamins, and other beneficial substances: isoflavones, coumarins, essential oils. On the ground 245 types of clover grow, in our climatic zone – a little more than 70 species, which are distinguished by a high content of protein, starch, folic acid, vitamins C, P and carotene.
One of the common types of trefoil is a creeping white or white porridge. It is the most unpretentious, light-requiring, different early flowering. Another – red meadow shamrock, or red clover. In common people it is called “scrofulous grass”, “God’s bread”.
In medicine, use fresh and dried flowers, leaves and stems of the plant.
In folk medicine, it is used to treat many diseases:
- relieves inflammation;
- lowers the temperature;
- tones the body;
- eliminates fungus;
- stops blood;
- relieves cough;
- eliminates eye fatigue;
- possesses choleretic properties;
- cleans the lymphatic system;
- works as a pain killer.
Clover red and white can be used in the form:
- decoction and infusion water based;
- extract in the composition of dietary supplements;
- tinctures on vodka;
- compress from the leaves.
Use in traditional medicine
- Tinctures improve immunity and lead to normal metabolic processes in the body.
- Clover preparations lower the level of harmful cholesterol, which additionally is a good prevention of atherosclerosis.
- For women – an indispensable assistant in gynecology: irregular periods, inflammation of the appendages, premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Used to treat sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). When menopause eliminates hot flashes, sensitivity and pain in the chest.
- Red clover strengthens the walls of blood vessels and capillaries due to isoflavones, increases the elasticity of large arteries. Helps with angina.
- Herbal tinctures restore potency in men.
- Poultice leaves, tinctures and infusions (based on vegetable oils) help in the treatment of purulent wounds and chronic skin diseases such as eczema and psoriasis, and treat burns.
- To improve the overall health of the body and recuperate it is recommended to make a bath with a trefoil.
- To stop coughing, grass is added to tea and drunk several times a day. Celeben with asthma, bronchitis and whooping cough. Read more about the benefits of clover tea.
- White porridge is used to thin the blood and treat thrombosis.
- Meadow red clover is used as an astringent for stomach and intestinal problems.
- Fresh juice is suitable for the treatment of allergies.
- For the prevention of diseases of the oral cavity, throat, and lungs, tinctures are used.
- Red clover can be used to prevent certain cancers, since it contains many biological active compounds: biochanin-A, caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid, coumarin, formononetin, genistein, isohamnetin. But if you have a predisposition for estrogen-dependent forms of cancer, treatment may have the opposite effect.
- The plant is obliged by its analgesic properties to anti-inflammatory compounds in its composition, such as eugenol, myritin and salicylic acid.
Contraindications and side effects
For most people, red and white clover are not dangerous in the case of ingestion, and when applied to the skin.
The plant can not be used:
- Pregnant and lactating women. Clover acts like estrogen, so it can upset the hormonal balance in the body. This prohibition also applies to external use.
- In people suffering from blood disorders, consuming this medicinal plant can cause bleeding. Since clover thins blood, it is forbidden to take it 2 weeks before and after surgery.
- When stomach disorders.
- Cores and stroke survivors.
- With estrogen-dependent forms of cancer (fibroids and uterine cancer, endometriosis, ovarian and breast cancer), the patient’s condition may worsen.
- If you suffer from thrombophlebitis, clover will only harm you. This plant increases the risk of blood clots in people with protein deficiency S.
As you can see, the list of contraindications turned out quite extensive. Now let’s talk about possible side effects:
- skin rash,
- muscle pain
- vaginal bleeding in some women.
But the harm of red and white clover is not limited to this. If you decide to use the plant for medicinal purposes, you should know with which medications a negative interaction is observed:
- Estrogens in tablets (they may include estradiol, ethinyl estradiol or conjugated horse estrogens – premarin).
- Contraceptives containing ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel – trifaliz, ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone – ortho-novum.
- Hepatic enzymes and other liver treatments. Clover can increase the side effects of drugs and prevent them from splitting.
- Slow blood clotting medication: aspirin, clopidogrel (Plavix), diclofenac ibuprofen, naproxen, heparin, warfarin and others.
- Tamoxifen, used in the treatment and prevention of cancer. Preparations of red clover reduce its effectiveness.
A few more words about the harm of clover. A diet high in these compounds caused impaired reproductive functions and liver damage in cheetahs living in captivity. And farmers have noticed that the prevalence of red clover in the diet of livestock leads to the so-called clover disease. Sheep infertility, dystonia, impaired lactation and prolapse of the uterus were observed.
Draw your own conclusions.
Cleansing the liver of toxins
- 300 ml of water;
- 1 tsp. clover blossoms;
Water is heated, then pour vegetable raw materials, boil for 6 minutes. Give the broth to cool, filter and drink 4 times a day, one tablespoon. The course of treatment is 30 days, if necessary, it can be extended.
Strengthening the body
Mix components, insist in a dark place for more than 10 days. Drink 3 times throughout the day before meals. A course of 30 days, a break – 10. Then repeat twice.
- 100 clover inflorescences;
- half a liter of water.
The ingredients are mixed, brought to a boil, boiled for 6 minutes. Insist 3 hours, filter. For taste add a spoonful of sugar or honey. Drink drink during the day.
- 2 tbsp. l dry red clover blossoms;
- 250 ml of water.
Bring the mixture to a boil. Give 40 minutes brewed, filtered. Take 3 times a day for half a cup.
Freedom from cold
- 2 tbsp. l dry flowers;
- 2 tbsp. water.
Mix components, give brew for 5 hours. Good filter and drink a day. Portions should be the same. Better after use to lie in the heat.
From inflammatory processes and tumors
- 3 tbsp. l clover roots;
- 1.5 Art. water.
Vegetable raw materials combined with water, boil in a water bath for 30 minutes. Strain the broth, add water to the original volume. Use up to 5 times a day before meals. The maximum course is 3 weeks. Repeat is valid only after a month break.
Procurement of raw materials
You will need to cut the stalks, tear off the leaves and inflorescences of the plant. All this is finely chopped and left in a dark, well-ventilated room until dry. After the dried grass is placed in a bag of natural fabric.
It is extremely important not to get involved in self-treatment, even if you believe in the power of traditional medicine and have already tried several effective recipes on yourself. Red and white clover contains hormone-like chemicals – isoflavones, which, if taken for a long time, can do you a disservice.
The period of independent treatment without the supervision of a specialist should not last more than 3-6 months.