Assigning immunomodulators for herpes, the doctor sets a goal to mobilize and support the most involved internal protective reserve. Once in the body, the herpes virus remains in it forever, settling in the nerve tissues. And to restrain the growth and activity of the pathogen is possible only by the strength of immunity. With a weakening of the natural protection, it is necessary to help the body by taking specific fortifying agents, individually selected by the attending physician. Such drugs are prescribed for all manifestations of infection – shingles, genital herpes, rashes on the lips and
Characteristics of drugs
Immunomodulatory drugs are agents that strengthen protective mechanisms. Due to this, the organism can suppress the negative influence of external factors and pathogenic microorganisms.
The various effects of these drugs on the state of immunity allows us to divide them into four large groups:
- immunomodulators. Normalize the response of the body as a whole to the effects of various pathogenic factors;
- immunomodulators. A point of action on the damaged link in the chain of immune response;
- immunostimulants. Increase nonspecific protective activity of cells and liquid tissues of the human body. Reception of these means is necessary at immunity decrease, at its normal level at the background of the raised physical or psychoemotional loadings, and also at an adverse epidemiological situation;
- immunosuppressants. In the treatment of herpes are not used. Means of this group suppress the body’s defenses, which is necessary during transplantation surgery or autoimmune pathologies.
In the treatment of herpes infections, immunomodulators are most commonly used. This is due to the constant presence of the virus in the body. In the normal state, the immune forces can restrain its development, but when weakened by stress, physical exertion, diseases of various etiologies, the immunity weakens, and the pathogen gets out of control and begins to actively proliferate.
The human immune system is very sensitive to various interventions in its work and in the future the balance is restored quite difficult. In order not to harm the body’s defenses, you should not take immune preparations for herpes yourself. Only a doctor after laboratory immunological examination can prescribe such agents.
In order to quickly and reliably get rid of herpes, in addition to specific treatment, measures are being taken to increase the body’s defenses. To this end, in the treatment of the disease, various immunostimulating preparations are used, which can be exogenous, endogenous and synthetic. When taking drugs of these groups, the duration of the acute period of the disease is reduced, the severity of discomfort is reduced, the likelihood of complications is reduced.
But it is necessary to take these funds in strict accordance with the doctor’s prescriptions. Especially this caution applies to synthetic compounds. This is due to differences in the mechanism of action. Exogenous and endogenous drugs enhance the body’s production of cells that oppose the pathological process. In contrast, synthetic drugs almost completely take over the functions of the immune system, which leads to the gradual extinction of its activity.
This category includes safe for the body of drugs, divided into three groups:
- thymic peptides. To create these drugs used substances that are part of the thymus gland of large domestic animals. This gland (thymus) is an important link in the creation of acquired immunity. Of endogenous stimulants to suppress herpes viruses, Timalin and Taktivin are most commonly used. Timalin enhances phagocytosis, enhances cellular immunity, normalizes the production of T-and B-lymphocytes, accelerates tissue regeneration. Taktivin increases the activity of macrophages and the production of interferons in the body, increases the aggressiveness of T-killers;
- cytokines. This group includes specific structures exhibiting highly targeted aggression when a pathogen is introduced or activated. Cytokines include interleukins and interferons. Interleukins are the most dynamic compounds formed by leukocytes and activate almost all cells of the immune system. Presented by such drugs as Betaleykin and Roncoleukin. Aggression against the pathogen of these drugs is so high that they can be used even in emergency therapy. Interferons are highly specialized protein compounds that resist the invasion of a viral agent. They are particularly active against the herpes pathogen and chlamydia. In the treatment of shingles, Interferon, Viferon, Betaferon, Avonex and others are used to suppress the vital activity of the pathogen.
In any herpetic process, the use of stimulating substances of plant and bacterial origin gives a good result. The patient is prescribed the following drugs:
- bacterial. In the drugs of this group can include both natural ingredients and semi-synthetic. Such medicines as Pyrogenal, Bronhomunal, Ribomunyl and others are made on a natural basis. Semisynthetic drugs is Licopid;
- Cordyceps is a sporyne fungus of the genus. Substances in its composition, have a beneficial effect on the immune system: increase the body’s defenses, reduce the activity of autoimmune and allergic processes;
- Echinacea purpurea. Due to the high immunomodulatory effect, this plant is very popular in the treatment of various diseases, accompanied by a decrease in protective forces. The pharmaceutical industry, based on its juice, produces a drug called Immunal. A powerful increase in the resistance of the body when taking this drug makes Immunal the main non-specific drug component for herpes.
- Transfer Factor. Immunomodulator of a new generation of animal origin. The basis of this drug are extracts from cow colostrum and egg yolks;
- Biogenic – mummy, propolis.
Bacterial immunomodulators enhance the activity of monocytes and macrophages. Substances contained in preparations of plant, animal and biogenic origin increase the ability of macrophages and neutrophils to destroy pathogenic cells.
Herpes is also used by substances synthesized in production or undergoing complete chemical cleaning. Low-and high-molecular compounds are used in therapy. Doctors try to prescribe such drugs extremely rarely, in order to preserve the efficiency of the patient’s immune system, and not to provoke the extinction of the formation of various protective cells and compounds.
The list of chemicals used in the treatment of herpes virus and not having a suppressive effect on the immune system includes:
- Alloferon – enhances the work of killer cells formed in the body, increases lymphocyte recognition of defective cells;
- Polyoxidonium – increases the overall resistance of the body, stimulates the formation of antibodies;
- Gepon – enhances the production of interferons, activates the activity of macrophages, increases the production of antibodies and resistance against viral infection;
- Galavit – increases the activity of macrophages and neutrophils.
With the development of herpes infection in breastfed infants, therapy with immunomodulating drugs is used only in severe cases. At this age, children receive a sufficient number of different protective cells and substances with mother’s milk. That is why pediatricians do not advise taking a child from the breast to a year. The immunity thus obtained is sufficient for babies for a long time. And only after 7 years old, the children’s body begins to need immunomodulatory drugs.
From one and a half years to increase the body’s defenses, children should be given as many products as possible that contain natural immune stimulants: fresh vegetables and fruits, honey, aloe. In case of individual intolerance, honey is excluded. From the age of three, children can already eat onions and garlic in small quantities. If the child is often sick, it becomes necessary to prescribe immunomodulators for children with herpes. In this case, pediatricians choose Derinat, Polyoxidonium, Lycopid.
Pregnant women should refrain from taking immunomodulators. Given the toxicity of many remedies for herpes and the danger of harming the fetus with immune drugs due to their incomplete knowledge, during this period women should take better care of preventing the disease and raising their defenses with natural methods. To do this, you need to diversify your daily diet as much as possible, include a large amount of fresh fruits and vegetables. A full sleep, regular walks in the fresh air, and contrasting of the legs will help to maintain the body’s defenses at a high level throughout pregnancy. In exceptional cases, if genital organs are affected by herpes, and there is a risk that the child will become infected with the virus during labor, the doctor prescribes immune medications to pregnant women under the strict control of an immunologist.
Reception of properly selected immunomodulatory drugs will not cause any harm to the body. But there are diseases of internal organs and systems in which therapy with such agents is categorically contraindicated. First of all, it concerns autoimmune processes, endocrine pathology and other serious diseases. These diseases include:
- multiple sclerosis;
- myasthenia gravis;
- systemic lupus erythematosus;
- autoimmune processes in the liver, heart muscle and other organs;
- bronchial asthma;
Applying immunostimulants for herpes against the background of these diseases, you can cause a strong exacerbation of the underlying disease.
You should also not be treated with drugs of this group without prior immunological examination. Each such drug is designed to correct specific disorders in the chain of the immune response. The wrong choice of remedies can only lead to a significant deterioration of health, and sometimes to irreversible changes in the body, requiring lifelong treatment. Therefore, throughout the treatment, immunological monitoring is required.
Immunomodulators will help not only to safely and quickly defeat the infection and restore lost health, but also at the end of the course of treatment to protect the body for a long time, increasing its resistance. But the uncontrolled reception of such funds is dangerous by the destruction of the immune system and an increase in the recurrence of herpes infection.