War is war and dinner is on schedule. Everyone likes a tasty meal, but sometimes a sumptuous meal brings not only a pleasant feeling of satiety, but also headaches to boot. Why it happens?
Why after eating a headache
The following factors can provoke the appearance of headaches after a meal:
- Hypoglycemia. Low blood glucose levels are often caused by malnutrition or irregular meals with significant intervals between meals.
- Intoxication of the body as a result of constipation.
- Violation of the usual diet. Food restrictions for medical reasons or strict weight loss diets can cause tension headaches.
- Food poisoning. Consumption of stale or low-quality products is fraught with headaches.
Symptoms and types of food headaches
According to the international classification, the headache associated with meals differs according to the following features:
- by the nature of the two-way and pulsating;
- increases with physical exertion;
- felt in the area of the forehead and temples;
- occurs after a small portion of food and continues to grow throughout the day.
There are the following types of food headache, depending on the type of dishes that provoked it:
- Associated with an excess of vitamin A. Eating excessive amounts of butter, egg yolks, liver, apricots, tomatoes, dill causes not only headache, but also stomach cramps along with nausea. The condition usually improves after some restriction in the diet of foods rich in vitamin A.
- Sausage. Hot dogs, pizza are prepared using sausage products containing a huge amount of nitrite and preservatives. Such harmful ingredients contribute to the sudden expansion of blood vessels, which causes the headache.
- Provoked by regular use of monosodium glutamate. In this sense, canned food and dishes in which soy is used instead of meat are dangerous. Headache is preceded by burning and pressure in the chest, which gradually passes into the head region.
- Cold. It can cause the use of ice cream or cold drinks. Headache in this case is the body’s response to temperature stress. It starts suddenly and quickly gains intensity.
- Associated with alcohol intoxication. This type of headache occurs due to damage to the walls of blood vessels and capillaries with alcohol. It may appear as 30 minutes. after drinking alcohol, and the next morning.
- Caffeine. People who are accustomed to regularly consume caffeine, have a headache if it does not enter the body. So does withdrawal syndrome. The pain in this case is accompanied by nausea, irritability and an increased feeling of anxiety.
- Caused by a shortage of vital substances. Malnutrition, irregular nutrition leads to a lack of iron, potassium, glucose, etc. As a result, the brain suffers oxygen starvation, and the person feels a strong headache.
What to do if you have a headache after eating
The easiest way to take a pain pill. Come to the rescue:
It is necessary to use drugs only after careful acquaintance with the instruction, and also consultation at the doctor if necessary.
Treatment without pills
This drink can serve as a prophylactic as well as a cure for headaches. Preparing ginger tea is very simple:
- Finely grate the peeled ginger root.
- Bring water to a boil (300 ml).
- Add to the boiling water 1 tsp. grated ginger.
- Wait a few minutes and turn off the heat.
- Add to drink honey and lemon to taste.
- Let it brew for 20 minutes.
The recipe can be modified to your liking: a different amount of ginger, honey and lemon significantly changes the taste of the drink. Beginners are not recommended to use too much ginger, because the body will react with a rise in temperature.
As a prevention, it is enough to drink 1 cup of ginger tea per day, and if headache attacks have already become a sad reality, then the “dose” should be increased to 3 cups.
It is possible to remove a headache, simply having listened to certain musical compositions. In this sense, have proven themselves:
- Spring Song by Mendelssohn;
- Polonaise Oginsky;
- Beethoven’s Fidelio;
- Hungarian Rhapsody by Liszt.
Half an hour of music therapy will relieve headaches. You can turn to other works: any classic has a positive effect on the body. It is known that the bells also effectively relieves headaches.
Aromatherapy is a great choice for getting rid of a headache. The following oils are best suited for this purpose:
There are several ways to use headache oils:
- Massage gently in the temples.
- At bedtime, drop a few drops on the pillow.
- Dampen a handkerchief and inhale the aroma.
Aromatherapy should be treated only if the smell of essential oil does not cause irritation. Also, women in a position should be very careful: the effect of essential oils on the pregnant woman’s body has not been fully studied.
How to eat so as not to have a headache
Clinical studies have shown that some products more often than others provoke a headache.