Some people may experience some mucus in their excrement. Panicking in such a situation is not necessary, but it is worth guarding. It is important to understand that mucus in the feces is not a natural phenomenon, which indicates the appearance of problems in the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract.
Diagnose and deal with those need to start immediately – only after finding mucus in the excrement. In more detail about the nature of the similar phenomenon at adult people, methods of its diagnostics and treatment we will talk in today’s material.
Causes and possible diseases
Phlegm in the feces is a warning sign!
Mucus must be present in human feces, as it is extremely important for the normal functioning of the intestines and neutralizing the adverse effects of alkali on the inside of the stomach. Despite this, the presence of this substance in excrement must always be within certain limits.
The amount of mucus, less than the norm, causes some difficulties in the process of defecation, and also adversely affects the intestinal microflora, and the amount greater than the norm is a signaling device of the gastrointestinal tract (GIT).
Especially it is worth guarding when in addition to mucus, the feces also contain blood.
Regardless of the individual characteristics of a particular situation, extraneous substances in human excreta are far from the norm. As a rule, an excessive amount of mucus in the feces is caused by the following reasons:
- increased consumption of bananas, watermelons, oatmeal, cottage cheese and some other food (a slight increase in mucus)
- the development or course of colds in humans (a slight increase in mucus)
- use in the treatment of strong antibiotics or certain other types of drugs (from a slight to a strong increase in mucus)
- the presence in humans of a number of gastrointestinal diseases and the intestinal inflammatory process (from a slight to a strong increase in mucus);
- manifestation of an allergic reaction to substances in the stomach (a slight increase in mucus)
In addition to the above reasons, a temporary increase in mucus in the feces can be caused by starvation, diet, stress, hypothermia, prolonged constipation, the use of dirty foods and similar phenomena. Even considering the etiology of a violation of the consistency of excrement, it is important to understand that a number of ailments of the gastrointestinal tract can also provoke such things.
Useful video – Why mucus appears in feces:
Often, adults who complain of excessive mucus in the feces are diagnosed with the following diseases:
- the appearance of polyps
- membranous colitis
- food intolerance
- irritations of different etiology
- infectious diseases
Diagnose a particular disease at home is almost impossible. Therefore, in the presence of abdominal pain, distention, diarrhea and other problems with the gastrointestinal tract, accompanied by mucus in the feces, you should not ignore the doctor’s visit. Only a specialist using the necessary examinations will be able to accurately determine the cause of the problem and prescribe the correct course of therapy. Do not forget about it.
Coprogram – laboratory examination of feces
Before you go to a doctor with a mucous problem, you need to do a few procedures:
- First, refuse products that can provoke excessive mucus secretion in the feces or irritate the gastrointestinal tract.
- Secondly, for about 7-10 days, observe your chair and determine whether the phenomenon was a one-off character or continues to be repeated systematically.
In the absence of improvements or deterioration of well-being, it is impossible to ignore the visit to the clinic. To get started, contact your therapist watching you and tell him the whole point of the problem. Based on the information received, the specialist will refer you either to one or several of the following doctors:
Depending on the individual characteristics of specific patients, the methods for diagnosing and determining the cause of the problem vary. In any case, a fence is required for analysis, which largely determines the vector of subsequent actions. In addition to this examination, ultrasound, computed tomography and similar diagnostics are often performed.
In some situations, you may need to take a blood test and even urine.
It should be understood that the measures described earlier are obligatory and should not be delayed, especially if there is blood in the feces, deterioration of health and other complications of the patient’s condition. Do not forget: the sooner determine the cause of the disease and start treatment, the easier and faster you can get rid of the problem.
Treatment should be comprehensive and is assigned depending on the diagnosis!
The method of disposal of mucus in the feces is determined based on the reason for its appearance in each particular case. The easiest way to restore normal functioning of the gastrointestinal tract is possible with problems with intestinal microflora.
In such situations, the following treatments are undertaken:
- Organization of proper nutrition: refusal of products and food irritating the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract and provoking excessive secretion of the mucous membrane.
- Normalization of the gastrointestinal microflora with the help of appropriate drugs and traditional medicine.
- Maintain the patient’s normal condition.
In other cases, the course of therapy is determined solely by the attending specialist who has all the necessary information about the etiology of the disease in a patient. In a sample form, the process of getting rid of mucus in the feces has the following form for all types of etiologies of the disease:
- The organization of a special diet, which is determined based on the characteristics of the reasons that provoked pathology.
- The organization of the correct course of the main treatment of the disease: either taking medications, or performing an operation, or radiation or chemical therapy, or a regular diet.
- Relieving unpleasant symptoms, that is, getting rid of one, if there is one: decrease in temperature, elimination of pain in the gastrointestinal tract, and the like.
- Maintain a healthy state of an already cured patient.
Before starting treatment of a disease of the gastrointestinal tract, it is important to understand that such an event is always of a long-term nature, which should be prepared for any person. It is undesirable to engage in self-treatment in case of pathologies of the stomach, since improperly organized treatment, as a rule, does not help, but on the contrary – causes a number of complications. Is it worth it? Decide for yourself.
Proper nutrition – the best prevention of gastrointestinal diseases
Having cured the disease and fixing the result, no adult person can guarantee that the mucus in the feces will not appear again. To protect yourself from this phenomenon will help to conduct some prevention.
The most important preventive measures are the following:
- Watch what you eat. All food entering your esophagus should be clean, non-expired and generally fit for human consumption.
- Try to adhere to a healthy diet or, at least, refuse to frequently eat fatty, smoked and other foods heavy for the digestive tract.
- Be sure to follow personal hygiene: wash your hands often, do not use other people’s personal hygiene items, and so on.
- Do not overcool the body and do not allow the development of colds or other infectious diseases, of course, do it whenever possible.
- Try to isolate yourself from all sorts of problems with the digestive tract, that is, do not allow constipation, irritation of the intestinal mucosa, and the like.
- Systematically conduct examinations in the clinic, checking not only the esophagus, but also other parts of the body.
In general, the organization of such prevention can significantly reduce the risk of developing problems with the gastrointestinal tract, which cause the appearance of mucous discharge in the feces. Of course, this phenomenon is unpleasant, but its greatest danger lies precisely in the reason for its appearance. Given this fact, never ignore violations in the feces and time to get rid of all health problems that cause them.
As you can see, it’s not so difficult to figure out what to do if an adult’s mucus in the feces has manifested itself. The main thing in this situation – do not panic and act prudently. To make things right is extremely simple, if you stick to the above information. We hope the article gave answers to your questions. Good luck in the treatment of diseases and health!