Bright, elegant designer covers are not only a method to improve the aesthetic properties of your gadget, but also increase safety during operation. The cost of such accessories is high, that not everyone can afford. Is it possible to make a phone case, giving it the necessary properties and characteristics?
We offer to explore as many as 17 different methods of creating covers yourself at home. You can also change a transparent bumper made of silicone, creating a unique design and decorating it with the help of simple objects. Use your imagination, share your impressions and tips on how to transform your smartphone into an aesthetic and elegant device. Leave comments and photos with your crafts, share your impressions and new ideas in the comments to the article.
Why do covers do it yourself?
The answer to this question will contain three factors at once, each of which is important for a certain circle of users of gadgets. The first factor is the high cost of truly original branded products. Accessories for new models of phones have more and more properties, and after all, their production, or rather, the conversion from the usual transparent bumper is available to anyone.
The second factor is the desire to make a phone case with your own hands of a certain color, shape and possessing specific characteristics. If you can not find products even in the collections of leading brands – show a bit of imagination, use the numerous tricks and tips from our article to create a case that will fully meet your wishes and requirements.
The last, third factor – frequent changes of the image. Both factors will be combined here – it is expensive to buy covers for each image, and it will be extremely difficult to pick up a lot of certain looks. Thanks to our recommendations and detailed instructions, you can create a case for any style, ideally complementing the image with an original accessory.
Popular colors for covers
Abstract patterns, a mixture of the brightest colors and wooden or even metal products – all this has been in trend for the second year. Now also bamboo covers are becoming more common, which are not even decorated with additional elements. You can also make a similar accessory, but use cardboard as a base, transparent case or even more exotic options.
Accessories should not only have a trend color, but also coincide with the created image. Pick up the covers under the image you create, focusing on compliance with the basic rules of style.
Detailed instructions for making covers yourself
With our instructions, you can make a do-it-yourself case for your phone from paper, glue, beads, cloth, and more. Each product will be original, because you will create it from those materials and in the way that fantasy allows. For each text instructions, we also attach a similar method in the video review. You clearly make sure that creating a designer accessory is not as difficult as it seems, but the simplest tools and materials will be enough for work.
Hot Glue Case
The first instruction will be one of the easiest ways to create protection and decoration for your smartphone. This method allows using silicone glue and minimal effort to create a unique accessory that will have a high degree of protection. In the video, you can visually explore one of the methods of creation, and in the instructions we will try to list all the main points and subtleties. Please note that the video instructions used two types of varnish – color and transparent with glitter, which will significantly increase the aesthetics of the device.
This method is also called phone decoration. Remember that to carry out such decoration or to create an original silicone case should be only after all precautions. In particular, during operation, not a single drop of glue should fall on the display, which can damage the touchscreen.
Do not be afraid to experiment, just prepare all the tools in advance and follow the steps according to the instructions. We divide the work into the following stages:
- We prepare tools and materials. You need a glue gun that heats the glue pins. Be sure to purchase parchment paper – it will provide protection for your device, as well as facilitate the process of creating an accessory. As auxiliary items will be relevant to take matches, varnish or acrylic paint, as well as tape and a marker.
- Preparing to work the phone. Preparation consists in wrapping it with parchment paper on all sides. All sides of the phone should be wrapped as tightly as possible, especially the back, which will be applied to the glue. You can fix the paper with adhesive tape.
- Draw the base of the drawing with a marker. The outline of the picture can be drawn with a marker, creating a specific image or an abstract image. It is important to take into account only one factor – each line of the pattern will increase rigidity, which will require taking into account the absence of voids in large quantities.
- Apply glue. We apply the glue along the contour of the phone, considering that it will not only be a decoration, but also must hold the entire structure on the gadget. Each pin used in the gun will be enough to draw a contour or perform a three-dimensional pattern. A minimum of two sticks of glue will be needed to create a sufficiently tight case that will play the role of a safety bumper.
- Wait until the glue hardens, and cut off the excess parts. As a rule, such parts will be glue clots at the attachment points on the display side. Remember also about the need to leave holes for the camera and speaker, the openings for which you will need to cut, if they are not prepared in advance.
- Remove excess hair and cobwebs. With the help of light heating with matches (you can use a cigarette lighter) you can easily remove the glue spider web and hairs that have appeared The cover should be the same thickness on all sides and without protruding unnecessary parts (can also be cut with a knife).
- Apply varnish or paint. This step will be not only a method to decorate and enhance the aesthetics of our product, but also give it greater rigidity. It is better to use nail polish, which after hardening will have greater rigidity. The outer and inner side should be covered, but the cover should not be put on until it is dry.
You can cover the entire phone in one layer without bothering with the creation of drawings. However, this method will not be very relevant in terms of the consumption of materials, and also will not always bring the desired result due to problems with precise and even application of glue. Transparent lacquer can also be used for coating, if you have not left dark traces of soot on the glue while singing cobwebs and threads.
Just want to highlight that for a mobile phone from paper, you can make covers with several methods. This option is considered budget and allows you to protect your device on unexpected hikes or trips, for example, when visiting the beach. Having completely packed the phone and leaving it free access according to the instructions on the video, you will protect the device from dust, sand or other negative conditions.
You can use a simpler method just by wrapping the smartphone, for this you need to perform the following steps:
- On a horizontally laid sheet (fold in half) the apparatus fits.
- The phone is wrapped up to the end of the sheet, completely hiding in the paper. The upper edges are tilted equally from two sides approximately one centimeter.
- Tuck the sides in small pieces.
- Tuck the bottom.
- Bend the corners at the bottom and fix all the wrapped parts with glue.
To get a beautiful paper case, you do not need to use origami methods. In this video, you can clearly see that decorating your device is simple and quick. Just cut the decor by placing a piece of paper under the silicone accessory. You can draw it yourself or use ready-made images, cut out sheets from magazines or print a print.
This method requires the selection of several colors of rubber bands, as well as the use of the machine and the hook for weaving. In the video instructions, you can study the method of weaving only with one hook, and we will tell in detail how to use the machine for weaving and make a cover from a set of 500 rubber bands.
We begin the work with the second pin, putting on his gum and throwing them on the third pin in the bottom row (crosswise). Next, perform the following actions:
- We put on the gum crosswise from the bottom of the pin on the third row at the top.
- Similarly, put on the rubber with the third pin, throwing them on the fourth row inside. In the end, there will be three crosses.
- In the center we miss two pins, weaving four more crosses similarly. As a result, in addition to the crosses, two pins should be free at the edges.
- On the next row we put on rezinochki on the top row and bottom in the opposite side. Similarly, we throw on all the pins in the previous row.
- Turning the machine horizontally, without crossing from the bottom of the gum to the top. We also fasten the remaining gum of the upper row, including using two pins in the middle.
- After completing the same steps for the second side, you need to remove the hook gum (two pieces) from each pin at the bottom. The middle pins are skipped again, leaving two rubber bands on each pin.
- We carry out the next row in a different color (we perform the actions for the second row in the third row). We remove two loops in a circle of the machine, and then wear gum of a different color instead. After that, remove the lower loop.
- Alternating the colors of the rubber bands, we perform the actions for the next two rows. For each row, you must wear and remove the loop.
- Next, make a hole under the screen. To do this, you will need to turn the machine vertically, remove the lower rubber bands from the third pin, and then transfer them to the fourth row. The last loop should be on the seventh pin.
- We remove loops from average pins (from all five). On the sides there are only three occupied places. We also tie the following rows, performing the procedure in a circle. On the one hand there are 5 pins.
- After removing the lower gum, leaving two loops. Similarly, we knit 11 more rows, not forgetting to change the order of color when choosing rubber bands. And also we knit a row in a circle, filling each pin.
- Leaving five pins not previously used, we remove the gum from the rest of the lower ones. Working pins skip (two), remove the lower loop from the third, throwing on the next. We continue the procedure until the last two pegs are completely free. Also knit the next row.
- Turning the machine vertically, remove the loop from the 2 pegs of the right row, throwing it over the next. The last loop will be thrown at 4 pegs.
- Lower loops on the 3rd and 2nd peg we remove.
- Leaving the central two pegs, we loop around the loops and remove the lower ones.
- The next row – we put on all the pegs of the gum and remove the loop, without affecting the pins, which contain 2 gum.
- The upper and lower loop on the first peg changes places, then the upper loop must be transferred to the next peg, connecting the structure.
- On the next pegs we remove the lower loops and transfer them to the next pins in the row. After that, we knit the usual series.
- To close the accessory we have, we need to make a row of crosses, similar to the first weaving procedure. The next row will use opposite pegs for the crosses.
- We remove loops from the bottom part, having left on pegs gum from eights. As a result, three rubber bands should come out on the bottom pin. Similarly, we throw the lower loop on the following pins and knit another row.
- Additionally, taking the gum, fix it with a knot on the right side and remove the cover. We put the elastic bands inside, hide the knot and put the resulting cover on the phone.
From a balloon
This method will be the simplest method to create a unique, bright and cheap accessory that is impermeable to moisture and installed in 10 seconds on the phone. It will take, as you can see in the video, just a balloon and a desire to protect your gadget.
To create protection you will need to inflate a ball of your chosen color. The case will cover tightly the sides of the phone and the back, leaving access to the touch screen and not interfering with its work. Lay the inflated ball on a flat surface, holding the nipple. Next, pressing the phone, pressing it into the ball, gradually release the air.
As a result, the ball envelops the device, tightly fitting and preventing moisture from the contact holes. Of course, it is not recommended to swim with this accessory, but as the simplest method to protect your device in a few seconds with a made cover is ideal.
Since we consider only the options for making covers of the simplest objects and materials with accessible tools, then the cover-book will be based on one of them. As such a base, we chose an old notebook with a bright design, and it takes just 10 minutes to make it. In the video, you can visually explore the process of creating a cover with soft padding of napkins and mount in the form of elastic bands.
To create such an accessory that will allow you not only to provide protection, but also to use the smartphone to view comfortably video, prepare such tools and materials:
- Scissors. They will be needed for cutting napkins under the phone.
- Knife for paper. It will help get rid of sheets of notebook.
- Bright paper. Decorate the outer side of the accessory.
- Glue. You can use any type of glue with a secure fit.
- Two gum. We choose gum not too large width, but sufficient to hold the device during operation.
First of all, measure the size of the phone and pick up a notebook in which the smartphone will fully fit. If the edges of the notebook will protrude a little – it’s okay, you can trim or leave them so completely covering the gadget. Next, perform the following actions:
- Take a notebook and cut its inner part – paper sheets.
- Spread out the cardboard by cutting a napkin along the contour.
- Glue the napkin, checking the quality of bending.
- Cut another sheet of cardboard to the size of one side of the notebook.
- Put a napkin on the cardboard and fix the rubber bands around the edges (measure them beforehand by leaning the device and checking the tension).
- Glue the cardboard with rubber bands to one side of the notebook, without gluing a strip, a centimeter wide.
To make a cardboard case you need only a few simple tools and materials. In the instructions for the video, you can see how to do the work, using ordinary cardboard and securing not only the accessory itself, but also having pasted the gadget into it with the help of double-sided tape. The main thing – do not forget that you need to leave holes for the keys, charging and the camera. And also remember that such covers – a temporary measure, even if they are decorated.
Using a similar pattern of cardboard, you can cut and glue already with the glue of our product. This video instruction clearly shows the method of a more massive and functional accessory. That is, you can use it already for reading or watching a video, and the cover itself will not disintegrate during operation at the most unexpected moment.
The main thing to remember when creating such protections is that you need to draw your gadget on the sheet of cardboard, taking into account all the holes and function keys. And also do not forget about the low strength of the material and remove the phone cover, if it ceases to provide the necessary level of protection.
For users who better perceive information in text format, we offer this instruction:
- Taking a sheet of cardboard, select with a marker or pencil a contour in one side and at a distance of half a centimeter (depending on the thickness of the device) another pattern.
- Cut out the resulting pattern, leaving the jumper and carrying out its bend with a slight indentation in each line of the pen or pencil.
- The case will need to be fixed on the device using double-sided tape. To fix the book itself, you can use a rubber band or two around the edges (you can also use a rubber band to fix the phone on the cardboard by cutting the slots under it in the case).
For the manufacture of such a cover, it takes only half an hour and a small set of tools. The main advantage of such products will be the ability to decorate the accessory with a variety of methods and using scrap materials. The video shows a master class on one of the options for doing the work.
We suggest using such materials for this type of cases that do not become part of the phone, unlike cardboard;
- Cut felt (choose bright colors, even small pieces can be used for decoration).
- Scissors, ruler, pencil and needle with thread.
- Glue gun with silicone pins.
The first action we create blanks for our product, tracing the phone around the contour and cutting the felt at a distance of a centimeter from each edge (excluding the top, which should be cut exactly on the gadget). Next, perform the following actions:
- With an outer seam we sew two cuts of fabric between each other, leaving the upper part open.
- We use small pieces of felt as a decor, creating an application by gluing with hot glue.
- We are waiting for the glue to solidify and use the cover.
One of the methods for creating fabric covers is to glue the fabric onto the cardboard. That is, we create a cover simultaneously from fabric and cardboard. In this case, it is recommended to use a soft cloth that is not too thick.
It is not necessary, as in the previous method, to use felt – any dense fabric with a high degree of rigidity is suitable for such covers. Use imagination and try to carefully stitch the workpiece to get not only reliable and secure, but also durable cover.
This case does not have holes for the camera, but it is easy to make without additional tools or materials. In the instructions for the video, you can find a visual aid for working with leather, as well as the method of manufacturing such accessories.
Using blanks of leather and small pieces of material, it is possible not only to create a protective material that is comfortable to use, but also an aesthetic product. The main thing is to take into account the need for high-quality firmware, especially if it is performed inside the case. Even a small knot of kapron thread can damage the touchscreen or the body of the gadget. The procedure for creating a leather case exactly repeats the work with felt (except for products with internal firmware).
There are two methods for making such covers — using only a glue gun and threads (yarn), or you will additionally need a transparent cover on which the threads will be fixed. The first method can be studied in the video, it is quite simple, but it will require quickness and care so that the glue does not have time to harden before putting on the yarn.
At its core, this method of creating protection and decor will repeat the covers of hot glue. The difference will be the imposition of threads or yarn on glue, as well as the lack of need to take into account the accuracy and a certain pattern when creating a cover.
Simply apply glue to the paper in which the gadget is wrapped, and then glue the yarn cut into small pieces on it. For cutting, use a ruler, after winding on which you need to cut one side of the spiral.
Of course, the highest quality will be the case in which the beads are fastened with separate threads, and the whole structure is connected. It is this method of knitting the case with beads (with a buffer in the form of threads) is indicated on the video. However, we propose another method, which is described below.
For a simpler method, you can take a ready-made knitted, silicone or even cardboard cover and stick beads on it. Immediately, we emphasize that a large number of beads will be required to fully cover even a small cover. You can stick the usual hot silicone, which will squeeze out of the gun:
- Prepare beads, bag, cardboard and toothpick.
- Put a drop of glue on the cardboard and a toothpick take a small drop to glue each individual bead.
- Using tweezers and glue, glue each bead alternately.
You can apply a small amount of glue directly onto the case, smooth it out and lay out beads. However, this method can lead to not very high-quality gluing of individual beads.
This method is simple, fast and effective in terms of aesthetics. It will need several dozen rivets, which are attached by a conventional glue gun. Carefully take the rivet with tweezers or forceps, apply glue on it and fix it on the cover. A similar method can be used to decorate the case with any other available decor option, for example, the logo of iron from old jeans pants.
Made of sparkles
You can implement this method in two ways – using paints or nail polish, as shown in the video or with hair spray. In the first case, you will need to create a base on a transparent case, painting it with paint or varnish. While the paint is not frozen – we scatter glitter on the surface (you can lay out a specific pattern or abstraction).
The second method will require less time and effort:
- Spray the varnish over part of the cover.
- Sprinkle the cover with sparkles.
- Spend a similar procedure in several rows.
A fashionable accessory with a truly original design can be created using an old bead necklace. Even a pendant is useful, which can take the centerpiece of the decor. The process will be completely identical to the bead sticker, but will require more glue and pre-calculated actions. Put the beads on the cardboard cover pattern as you will overlay them, and then paste them directly onto the accessory.
In the video, you can study the detailed instructions on how to knit an original cover in just a few hours. This method is more suitable for those who already know how to knit, and also understands reading and using patterns and clippings. Remember that knitting is a laborious process that does not stand in a hurry and will require a lot of effort.
You do not need to buy a silicone case; you can make it yourself using tools and materials that are available in a regular store. On the video, detailed instructions for the manufacture of such a cover, as well as we describe in text form each action.
The first step will be the preparation of all materials and tools. Prepare rubber gloves, a small amount of regular starch, a knife, sandpaper, a spatula, and building silicone. These are all tools and materials that will be needed to create a cover.
Prepare your phone template in advance or wrap it with film or paper to avoid damaging the display and blocking the functional connectors. But also consider that it is necessary to follow all security measures, in particular, cutting off the surplus from yourself.
- Pour a small amount of starch on the table and make the dough in a mixture with silicone. The kneading should be carried out with gloves, stirring to the state of clay or thick paste.
- Roll out the resulting pancake to a thin layer that will accommodate our device. Next, you need to wrap the phone in the resulting dough and check that the edges come together on our sides (also check the corners and blind them like dumplings, removing the excess by pressing).
- After solidification, you need to pull the phone out of the resulting cover and cut through all the functional holes.
- The last step is pointing the gloss. Peel the cover and make it in all places of the same thickness. Also remove the excess with a knife. Apply a small amount of silicone without starch to the surface, leveling with a brush.
Such a cover can be decorated with appliqué, paints or glitter, creating a product comparable to the products of leading world brands.
Cover with dried flowers
Using acetone, an old silicone bumper, dried leaves and flowers, as well as epoxy, scissors and glitter, you can create a unique cover with dried flowers. The video describes one of the methods of such decoration with the help of pansies, and we will tell you in the detailed instructions how you can make such décor with other types of dried flowers.
The first step is design development. You need to figure out exactly how you lay out the flowers and leaves to get the most aesthetic picture. Next, proceed directly to gluing with a glue gun:
- Each leaf glue separately, causing a few small drops, not large ones.
- The decor is complemented with sparkles to create a halo around the flowers.
- We are waiting for the glue to harden and pour the resulting composition with epoxy resin (the resin will need to be mixed with water in a certain proportion).
- Having leveled the mixture, wait for freezing and we can use the cover.
So that the resin does not fall to the edges and does not have to be removed after solidification, you can remove the excess immediately with a cotton swab and acetone. Smooth out the best with a wooden stick.
Additional chips for decoration and design covers
Any object, an old pendant, a scattered necklace, or other objects in a jewelry box can become an original decor for a cover. You can explore a huge number of tips on decorating in the video and send your own design options in the comments, adding photos to them.
There are dozens and hundreds of methods for creating unique covers from scrap materials. We presented the most common and simple options for how to protect your device or decorate it in the shortest possible time and at the lowest cost. You can add comments yourself, in which you share tips and your own results of experiments on creating stylish and reliable gadget covers. And also share our article in social networks.