The dog’s silky and thick coat indicates its excellent health. Full or partial loss of hair in a dog indicates the presence of problems in its body. This symptom may indicate a serious illness. That is why the owner should definitely find out why the dog’s hair falls out.
Causes of hair loss
The active shedding of the dog’s coat 2 times a year is a natural process of molting the animal, so this phenomenon should not bother the owner. Seasonal shedding does not adversely affect the health of the dog, and the owner only needs to brush the pet and monitor the cleanliness of its skin.
Loss of hair in a dog may indicate a malfunction in the body of the dog.
But if the seasonal moulting is still far away, and the dog has widespread or focal alopecia, the owner should find out the reasons for this phenomenon. Hair loss can be triggered by several reasons.
Hormonal disorders in the body
The dog’s hair may fall out if there was some kind of hormonal failure in the body:
- Cushing’s syndrome (hyperadrenocorticism) is a disease in which excess cortisol is formed in the body. Symptoms of the disease are hair loss, weight gain, systematic thirst, frequent urination.
- Hyperestrogenism. An excess of estrogen in the body, due to which wool falls in the genital area.
- Hypoestrogenism. The disease most often develops in middle-aged, sterilized bitches. There is a loss of hair in places, first around the genitals, then all over the body.
- Growth hormone deficiency in puberty males. The disease has a breed predisposition; chow-chows, poodles, boxers, Airedale Terriers, Pomeranians, and Dutch Spitz suffer from it.
- Hypothyroidism. Acute lack of thyroid hormones. Wool becomes dry and brittle. Then begins the loss of hair on the back, chest and neck.
The hormonal causes of alopecia include Cushing’s syndrome, hypothyroidism, growth hormone deficiency.
In a normal hormonal background, the causes of hair loss in a dog may be as follows:
- Avitaminosis. Vitamin B deficiency especially affects the state of wool. Deficiency in the body of zinc provokes the formation of skin firmness and baldness.
- Allergy. The dog may be allergic to food, cosmetics, chemicals, drugs. Loss of hair accompanied by reddening of the skin, itching.
- Stress. The nervous system of many breeds is designed in such a way that excessive anxiety affects their health and causes reactions in the form of changes in appearance and malfunction of the internal organs. After a fight, a visit to the doctor, moving or other exciting situations, the dog may begin an interseasonal molt.
- Yeast infections. For this reason, dogs with wrinkled skin are prone to hair loss: Shar Pei, English Bulldogs and
Loss of hair may be due to yeast infections.
Often the cause of alopecia is flea dermatitis.
IMPORTANT. One of the reasons for hair loss is excessive passion for clothes for dogs. In the warm season, the skin under different sweaters, underwear and nakazochkami overheats, which inevitably causes hair loss.
In an effort to decorate a pet, many owners constantly dress them up in various costumes. Appointment of clothing for dogs – protecting them from the adverse effects of the environment. At the same time, in favorable weather and at home, the dog must be out of clothes so that the skin is saturated with oxygen, “breathing”.
Treatment of Alopecia in Dogs
If the hair loss of the dog is seasonal, no action is necessary. The only rule – compliance with the requirements for the care of wool. During the molt, the dog should be combed once or twice a day, using a special brush.
If the dog starts to lose hair, you need to show it to the vet and find out the reason.
There is no single method for treating other types of baldness, since in each case the treatment depends on the causes of hair loss. Baldness in places or completely requires compulsory visits to the veterinary clinic to determine the causes. For diagnosis, anamnesis is collected, scrapes are taken from the skin.
After finding out the reasons, treatment is prescribed:
- When detected on the skin of parasites prescribed funds against them. You can immediately get rid of all pests with the help of drops Advocaat, Stronghold. In advanced cases, antibiotics will be required.
- If the wool falls due to beriberi or a general decrease in immunity, special vitamins for dogs are prescribed. Alopecia due to allergies will require, above all, a change of feed and the removal of contact with allergens. Then antihistamines are prescribed orally or topically.
- The most difficult treatment for balding a dog is due to hormonal disruptions and various infectious diseases. Treatment requires the appointment of a complex of drugs taken for a long time.
Vitamins for hair growth in dogs
Regardless of the cause of hair loss, you should immediately enter into the pet’s diet special vitamin complexes to stimulate hair growth.
Brewer’s yeast for dogs are a source of vitamins B, which are necessary to maintain the health of hair and skin.
To maintain healthy hair, the body needs the following substances:
- Vitamins D, F, H.
- Zinc Chelate
- Vitamins of group B.
- Amino acids.
Certain foods can be used as a source of vitamins. It is necessary to include in the diet of the dog:
- Linseed oil – contains vitamin F.
- Liver and molasses (molasses) – rich in vitamin N.
- Lamb, brewer’s yeast, whey, liver – contain vitamins B.
The complex of substances useful to wool is contained in nutritional supplements and vitamin complexes:
Hokamix Skin Oil & Shine relieves itching, gives shine to wool.
- Polydex – one of the varieties of the line – Super Wool plus is designed specifically for the restoration of wool.
- Wit Aktiv S-Sh – give wool density, healthy look, softness. Natural antioxidants prevent the destruction of the follicles, prevent the occurrence of allergic reactions.
- Hokamix skin & Shine – oil with a high content of omega acids. Removes dry skin, gives shine to hair, eliminates itching and peeling.
- Excel 8 in 1 – beer yeast and garlic. Special complex for skin and wool.
- Beafar – line of vitamins. Laveta Super Malti is a complex for skin and wool.
- Canwith Biotin – a drug with biotin, which has a beneficial effect on the condition of the skin and hair.
- Canina – widely used by dog lovers around the world.
The Kanin line of vitamins includes complexes for dogs of various ages and breeds, as well as for regulating various physiological problems:
- DPETVITAL Biotin-tabs – restores the coloring pigment of wool, improves its quality.
- Fell Gel – for small breeds. Eliminates fragility of wool, dandruff.
- Biotin forte – for long-haired breeds, helps to quickly restore hair.
ATTENTION. When selecting vitamin complexes need to consult with a veterinarian. Exceeding the dose, the duration of the drug can cause hypervitaminosis, which will cause problems with the health of the pet.
Prevention of hair loss in dogs
The main condition for the prevention of alopecia in dogs is the timely elimination of skin problems. The dog must be carefully examined during grooming and in the case of any signs of baldness contact a veterinarian.
Most often, dog baldness begins with the formation of bald spots in the hairline. If the appropriate measures are not taken in time, the dog will lose all hair.
During the shedding period, the dog must be combed daily and remove dead hair, which can lead to skin irritation.
The dog’s coat should be especially carefully looked after during the seasonal moulting. Dead hair is carefully carved daily. If this is not done, inflammation and itching will develop. The dog will begin to actively brush the itchy areas, and as a result, the hair will begin to fall out.
One of the conditions for the health of wool – compliance with the rules of feeding. Many economy-class dry food, such as Oscar, contain poor-quality components, dyes and preservatives, the use of which will certainly affect the condition of the pet’s hair. Therefore, you need to choose high-quality food or use natural products.
Beautiful, thick coat in a dog is a sign of the animal’s health and its decoration. Increased hair loss is a signal to action for the host.
We offer to watch a video on which the vet talks about the causes of alopecia in dogs.