Traditionally, laxatives are used to facilitate emptying in people with constipation, but easy access and low cost have made them popular with people who lose weight, who mistakenly believe that they lead to the desired weight loss.
However, before making such a conclusion, it is necessary to understand what the effect of a laxative on the body is.
After all, the promotion of defecation can be both useful in certain medical situations, and harmful because of various side effects that can affect the important physiological systems of the body.
Laxative for weight loss: all the pros and cons
Effect of laxative on metabolism
The body’s metabolism is responsible for transforming the food you consume into energy necessary for the vital activity of cells. This energy is measured in calories, and the higher your metabolic rate, the more food you can eat to maintain your weight, and the easier it will be for you to lose weight. The main factors that affect the rate of metabolic processes in the body include your height, weight, age, gender and body structure.
Laxatives almost always cause weight loss, but it is worth noting that for the most part this is due to the weight of the waste, and the result of such weight loss will not be permanent. Such drugs stimulate the muscles of the intestinal walls, causing them to contract and, thereby, causing an act of defecation. However, there is a huge difference between weight loss and burning fat deposits.
And laxatives, causing a temporary change in the amount of water in the body, do not affect the rate of burning of fat reserves.
Proper Use of Laxatives
Only a qualified doctor can tell you how to use laxatives properly to avoid unwanted side effects. And each type will have different recommendations for proper use.
In general, laxatives are not intended to be used for long periods of time, as they can lead to the depletion of nutrients in the body. In addition, the daily consumption of 6 to 8 glasses of pure water is recommended when taking any medications.
Nausea and abdominal cramps. These drugs are intended for short-term use in the treatment of constipation. They solve the problem by reducing the absorption of fluid in the colon, thereby increasing the pressure of the food mass on the receptors of the intestinal wall and causing defecation.
For those who use laxatives for the purpose of losing weight, this situation can cause the depletion of water reserves in the body, which will cause spasms, gas accumulation in the stomach and nausea.
Reduced bowel tone. Laxatives help the body to normalize the quality and regularity of the act of defecation, but they also reduce the functionality of the intestinal muscles, causing their imbalance.
Therefore, the abuse of these drugs or their use for weight loss instead of constipation can lead to loss of control over the intestines, which simply can “forget” how to properly promote food, and your body will become addicted to drugs.
Lack of useful items. Another side effect of using drugs is that it can deprive your body of such necessary electrolytes as calcium, chlorine, potassium, magnesium and sodium.
This can lead to damage to the nervous tissue, muscle weakness and cramps, fainting, heart rhythm disturbances, and an imbalance of body fluids. With long-term deficiency – cause serious health problems, and in severe cases, electrolyte imbalance can be fatal.
Osteoporosis. Some people use a laxative to increase the frequency of urination and bowel movements, believing that this prevents the body from fully absorbing food, thereby causing weight loss. However, this practice leads to calcium deficiency and vitamin D, which can lead to the development of osteoporosis.
Natural laxative for weight loss – the choice is great
Natural fiber is a natural laxative that can assist you in stool normalization. Fiber helps to promote waste through the intestines, reducing the risk of constipation.
There are two types of fiber that must be included in your healthy diet plan. Insoluble fibers add volume to the food mass, making them softer and facilitating their passage through the intestines. This type of fiber is found in whole grain bread, brown rice and oat bran.
Soluble fibers dissolve in water to form a gelatinous substance that helps flush out waste from the intestines. A large amount is found in such natural sources as prunes, raisins and figs.
Many precast teas contain natural herbs that act as a laxative. The most common include senna leaves, nettle, chamomile, aloe and sunflower. Such herbal preparations are used on a short-term basis, and their intake should not exceed 2 to 4 cups per day.
Magnesium is a natural laxative and is found in many foods or supplements. This mineral helps normal function of the muscles, including the intestines, regulating the phases of its contraction and relaxation.
You can find this mineral in high fiber foods, including whole grains, green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds.
The fluid acts as a natural laxative to relieve constipation and abdominal distention. Its quantity should be increased with increasing fiber consumption to help the intestines in moving coarse lumps of food through the digestive system. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water a day based on broths, herbal teas, fruits, and even vegetables.
To burn excess fat reserves, you must consume more calories than you consume. Then your body will begin to use fat as one of the main sources of fuel. But first find out the number of calories your body burns per day using our online basal metabolic rate calculator.
To maintain your weight, eat a given amount of calories. To lose weight at a safe rate (from 1 to 2 kg. Per week), reduce caloric intake by 500 – 1000 calories daily.
Rapid weight loss with the help of a laxative: myth or reality?
It is not a secret for anybody that the appearance of a human figure depends on the constitution of his skeleton, the state of muscles and the amount of fat deposits. Excessive overlying of flour, sweet and fatty foods, a passive lifestyle and a slower metabolism primarily lead to the formation of a “drooping stomach” caused by overflow of the intestines, and only then to thickening of other parts of the body. That is why the most common way to take a laxative is to use it immediately after overeating. Drunk laxative for weight loss, provokes an act of "forced" bowel movements, causing a reduction in smooth muscles and a "fall" of a crowded abdomen.
At first glance, laxatives for weight loss give a visible weight loss of a few kilograms, allowing you to get into your favorite jeans or a new beautiful dress. However, this does not last long. Already at the first meal, the stomach is gaining the same momentum. Thus, an effective laxative for losing weight becomes not so effective. The question involuntarily arises: "But what about the numerous positive reviews and popular TV commercials advertising laxative teas and other means for losing weight?" But then, as they say, you need to turn on your head. And help this information about the principle of action and varieties of laxative drugs.
How does laxative affect the body?
The principle of action of any laxative drug is to accelerate the process of emptying the intestines, by irritating its mucous membrane with special substances that are part of it. Once in the human body, a laxative causes discomfort and rejection of the drug itself, and with it the entire contents of the intestine, without affecting any other organs of the digestive system and destroying the myths about burning fat with laxative tablets. Thus, a mild laxative for losing weight can have only a temporary, fast-acting effect, and, with frequent use, can generally stop the process of losing weight, as a result of the body becoming accustomed to extremely rapid removal of feces.
Varieties of laxatives
Today, manufacturers offer a huge selection of laxatives for weight loss, which can be divided into the following groups:
- Mineral laxatives (Glauber’s salt, magnesia), which, due to their lightness, squeeze the fecal mass out of the intestine. A single dose of these substances causes an upset stomach for the whole day, completely ridding the intestines of all contents and washing out the intestinal microflora, which requires further restoration by probiotics. Thus, the price of a dropped kilogram becomes a violation of the digestive system.
- Natural laxative fiber-based diet pills (phytomucil, bran and
From the foregoing, it becomes clear that to lose weight with the help of laxative drugs can only be a couple of pounds in a couple of days, which is worth staying at. Regular use of drugs with a laxative effect will not only not bring the desired results, but also have a detrimental effect on the body in the future.
Pitfalls of "good" laxative for weight loss
As we have learned, laxatives for weight loss can harm human health. Let’s find out exactly what damage laxatives can cause to the human body.
In view of the fact that tablets that speed up the excretion of feces from the intestines, violate the natural pattern of the digestive process, the human body loses vital vitamins and nutrients, usually absorbed through the intestinal walls. As a result of the body’s lack of the elements necessary for its proper functioning, it is depleted and causes malfunctioning of all systems. That is what explains the fact that the consequences of losing weight with the help of laxatives, as a rule, are brittle nails, dysbacteriosis, falling hair and other health problems and, accordingly, with the appearance of a person.
Another disadvantage of laxative drugs is that their regular intake causes an unhealthy psychological dependence on a person. Uncontrolledly using various foods, people are counting on a “magic” pill that will not allow fat to be deposited in problem areas. In fact, everything is much more complicated, most of the carbohydrates and fats manage to “leave their mark” on the figure. Taking a laxative really gives weight reduction the next day, which is followed immediately by an increase in it, at the first refusal of the medication and eating the usual food.
About the expediency of taking laxative drugs
In medical practice, experts certainly use a laxative for a single thorough cleaning of the intestines before various operations. Removing the contents from the intestines does cause a loss of a few kilograms, but that’s all. That is why taking drugs with a laxative effect is possible only at the beginning of any weight loss program for removing excess toxins and toxins from the body and preparing it for a new healthy life.
A laxative option is not a simple one – (the above side effects do in most cases take place
Drugs that facilitate and accelerate defecation, affect only the intestines. They stimulate its activity or otherwise lead to the release of content. And on the fatty layer, located under the skin and on the internal organs, these funds have no effect. Regular intake of laxative:
- slightly speeds up the metabolism;
- prevents fully digested eaten food;
- removes not only fecal masses, but also excess water from the body.
True, the effect is present only on the background of the use of drugs. If it is literate, a suitable laxative is chosen, it can help to lose weight. But taking medications that facilitate bowel movement should not be the only measure for weight loss. Diet and exercise are still relevant.
Types of laxatives
Drugs that promote quick and easy bowel cleansing are divided into several groups:
- Increasing the volume of the contents of the body. Components of drugs in a humid environment swell, grow heavy, which leads to stretching of the intestinal walls and activation of its motility.
As a result, defecation is faster. Laxatives of this group are not addictive, safe enough, can be used in the process of losing weight.
- Softening the contents of the body. This means on the basis of oils that are not absorbed in the stomach. Combined with the contents of the intestine, drugs dilute feces, which does not allow this mass to linger inside. Drugs in this group are also generally safe.
- Irritant Organ Walls. Under their influence, the intestinal muscular activity increases, it vigorously pushes its own contents. These tools are dangerous to abuse. Such laxatives cause addiction and weakening of the mucous membrane of the body. The intestine refuses to work without a tablet, on its surface may appear inflamed lesions.
- Mineral. Cause a violent bowel reaction, remove a large amount of water. These laxatives are designed for high-quality single-time cleansing of the body. They do not stimulate metabolism, but they can do harm when trying to use it regularly.
- Increases intestinal motility due to changes in the microflora of its different departments. These funds are not absorbed by the walls of the body, but also increase the volume of the contents and allow smooth muscle to be “lazy”. They can not be taken often, there is a risk to disrupt the functioning of the intestine.
The mechanism of action of laxative drugs
Good and proven folk remedies
Wanting to improve the normal functioning of the digestive organs during the diet, it is better to use well-known and well-proven natural substances:
- First of all, enter into the diet of low-calorie foods with a laxative effect. This is brown rice, bran, prunes, figs, vegetables (can be boiled), fruits. There is so much fiber in products that you don’t have to eat a lot of them.
- Magnesium in vegetables, greens and fruits also has a laxative effect. Having diluted their diet, it will be possible to speed up the metabolism, get rid of edema.
- Drink decoctions of chamomile, senna leaves, means with aloe, nettle. On the day you need no more than 2 cups. Plants can be combined with each other. They will eliminate constipation, improve immunity due to the vitamins present in the composition. But taking herbal laxatives can be very short.
- Accelerate intestinal cleansing is obtained by drinking 2 liters of water per day. It helps to strengthen the activity of the musculature of the body, stimulates the metabolism. To prevent constipation, you can drink 200 ml of water with lemon juice before each meal.
For products with a laxative effect, see this video:
Tablets and drugs for quick results.
If you take a laxative for weight loss, you should choose the most safe pharmaceuticals. Mineral (magnesia, Glauber’s salt) are excluded, they will harm the intestinal microflora.
It is undesirable to use organ motility stimulants. ("Bisacodil", "Maltit", "Sorbitol"). They quickly cause dependence, weakening of its smooth muscles. And then you have to fight with constipation, which inevitably arise after the cessation of pills.
The most appropriate laxatives to help reduce weight include:
- Drugs based on fiber. These are “Fitomucil”, “Normolax”, the laxative jelly “Leovit”, “Seeds of Chia”, “Pumpkin Cellulose”, “Solgar Multi Formula of Dietary Fiber”, “MCC Ankir B Cellulose”, “Bran Oatmeal Peeled”, “Wheat Bran” and
The big advantage of these drugs is that they give a feeling of satiety, allow you to safely transfer dietary restrictions.
- Oily laxatives. They are preferable to those who adhere to a protein diet. With such a diet, constipation can occur, which castor, petroleum jelly, olive, and linseed oils can easily cope with. Preparations based on them are in the form of capsules. If you use oil in liquid form, you need to take no more than 1 tsp. at a time.
- Means that increase osmotic pressure in the intestine. “Lactulose”, “Duphalac”, “Normase”, “Portalac” can be taken for a short time, especially if there is a tendency to constipation. But prolonged use can cause negative changes in the intestinal microflora.
- Preparations based on medicinal plants. These are “Buckthorn extract” in tablets or syrup, “Kafiol” (fig fruits and senna leaves), “Fitolaks” (apricots, dill, senna, plantain), remedy on the basis of kelp “Fitotransit”, funds on the basis of plantain seeds “Faberlex” , "Mukofalk", "Naturolaks".
This group includes drugs, the main component of which is only senna, that is, "Senade", "Gerbion-Laksana", "Regulaks". The ingredients of such laxatives are completely natural.
Despite the safety of these drugs, do not get too carried away with their use. Before use, you should always consult a specialist. And if during the therapy there is pain, deterioration of health, the reception should be stopped.
What is the effect of application for weight loss
The positive manifestations of the use of laxatives for weight loss include:
- Regular bowel movements. With this, switching to a low-calorie diet and reducing the amount of food eaten many people have problems, that is, constipation. Laxatives help to improve the normal functioning of the intestines, to rid the body of toxins.
- Reduced absorption of fat and carbohydrates. Since a part of them is absorbed in the intestine, the drug that stimulates its purification will prevent it. This means that fat reserves are not replenished with small errors in nutrition.
- Reduced swelling. Excess fluid makes the body volumes and overall weight more. With the use of laxative, these parameters are reduced. But do not be deceived that the process occurs at the expense of reducing the fat layer.
The use of the drug to cleanse the intestines in itself can only give momentary weight loss in the abdominal area, because after its action, it remains empty. Taking laxatives for weight loss only makes sense when combined with diet and increased physical activity. But in this case you should not abuse them.
Is it safe to take laxatives uncontrollably
Stimulants of the bowel cleansing process are not as harmless as some people think. They can also have negative consequences:
- Slow down the metabolism. This body reaction occurs in response to the deprivation of its nutrients, vitamins, minerals. As a result, the effectiveness of the diet is reduced. And after its completion, the excess weight will begin to arrive in an even greater volume.
- Disrupt the intestinal microflora. Together with feces, water and undigested food, the laxative drives out beneficial bacteria from its mucous membrane, which are necessary for normal organ function. This leads to deterioration of health, flatulence, irritable bowel syndrome and other pathologies of the digestive system.
- To adversely affect eating behavior. Laxatives can provoke bouts of gluttony, because a violation of the absorbability of nutrients increases the feeling of hunger.
- Lead to dehydration. This condition at the initial stage causes dryness of the mucous membranes, skin, deterioration of the appearance of hair. And then it can affect the work of vital organs and become deadly.
For these reasons, losing weight using laxatives is prohibited when:
- existing problems with intestinal microflora;
- inflammation of its walls in different areas;
- pathologies of the kidneys;
- cardiovascular diseases;
- susceptibility to bulimia or anorexia.
Laxatives can not and should not replace the real levers of influence on excess weight. They should be used only if necessary to normalize the stool and as prescribed by a specialist, since they do not dissolve fat. Taking laxatives without good reason may harm the process of losing weight and health in general.
Laxative for weight loss
Laxatives harm the body, and for to absolutely useless. Side effects of laxative drugs. Manufacturers often add to the funds for the most laxative components, and argue that the cleansing effect of these components will help lose weight. It does not warn about the best laxatives. For example, the leaves of the senna, found in bioadditives for weight loss, with long-term use are dangerous and can cause inflammation and cause erosive lesions of the intestine.
And after the most, as you stop taking such a laxative, you will be disturbed by constipation, so for the intestines the best ones will be for reduced tone and simply stop coping with their natural task. Most drugs with their best use can lead to serious consequences – to abdominal pain, disruption of the functioning of the intestines, bleeding and the development of anemia, dehydration, and metabolic disorders.
Natural laxative laxatives do not have side effects. With the help of natural weight loss, you can safely cope with constipation, remove toxins from the body, improve the normal functioning of the intestines and digestion. To do this, just enter into your diet foods that contain a large weight loss of fibers. Include also fruits and vegetables that have a laxative effect – figs, prunes, hazelnuts, chicory, apricots.
Laxative for weight loss without harm to health
Pears, olives, grapes, for, soy-like, mango, avocado, peaches. And remember, only a balanced diet together with physical exertion will help you lose weight! Such sulfates for those that cause weight loss.
If you regularly use an additional stimulant, after a while, the body will simply not be able to empty itself. The illusion of a laxative Having taken the drug with a laxative effect, you go to the toilet and drink with a sense of lightness.
At the same time, the scales show several kilograms better than before going to the toilet, and in the mirror you see that the volume of the abdomen has decreased. But it’s too early to rejoice – after the following meals your figure will return to its former state.
The volume of the body decreases, which is mistaken for magnesium slimming.
In fact, the best deposits are the most laxative. Taking it even for its intended purpose, do not forget to drink a lot to avoid dehydration. Do not think that you can eat as much as you want, then empty your intestines and expect that the calories did not have time to digest. On the contrary – carbohydrates and fats are instantly absorbed by the body, because the loss of most laxatives is aimed at accelerating the metabolism.
And with the help of the medication, the remnants of food that did not have time to digest leave the stomach.
Laxative for weight loss: can I take, the names of drugs and herbs, side effects
As a result, the feeling of saturation instantly disappears, and again you want. Weigh yourself as the pros and cons, to decide – for the sulphate lost kilograms of the very risk to your body. Nausea, pain and cramps. With a long-term losing weight loss, there is a depletion of the body’s water reserves, which leads to increased gas formation, cramps, discomfort in the abdomen and esophagus.
Doctors drink that people who regularly take such drugs for weight loss, form dependence, even at the psychological level. Deficiency of beneficial elements Accelerated metabolism leads to a decrease in the level of magnesium, chlorine, potassium, sodium and magnesium in the body. It is fraught with fainting, better weakness, convulsions, laxative heart rate, osteoporosis.
Protein deficiency This is followed by a decrease in protective functions and impaired regenerative processes in tissues. Vitamin deficiency Avitaminosis leads to hair loss, the appearance of acne, brittle nails and brittle teeth.
Inflammation of the rectum Due to constant irritation of the intestinal walls, there are unpleasant sensations in the rectum, itching, burning, as well as hemorrhoids.
Laxative herbs and diet pills: how to drink?
They are prescribed by the doctor if the stool has not returned to normal after several days of the prescribed diet. Only a doctor for, the most it is for the tool will help you with problems with defecation. Such drugs are contraindicated in some patients. When the intestinal flora is underdeveloped, a laxative is first assigned according to its normalization. If there is a tendency to the best processes in the intestines, in no case do not try to lose weight with the help of laxative weight loss.
Cordial and renal laxatives also often become a reason to look for another way to lose weight in the intestines – everything needs to be coordinated with the doctor. Among products rich in fiber and magnesium: The best lavage procedure is carried out under the supervision of a physician. The laxative effect develops within hours after the first dose.
The strongest laxatives quick action
It is permissible to drink the drug with plenty of liquid. Use for this milk is unacceptable. With the appearance of such symptoms, the drug is canceled.
The laxative effect appears already after hours after the first dose of the drug. To accelerate the action, it is recommended to drink a pill with a glass of warm salted liquid. It has an osmotic principle of action. Stimulates the growth of microflora characteristic of the intestine, inhibits harmful bacteria. The effect comes after taking the means.
Can I use a laxative for weight loss?
Contraindicated with the most, intolerance components for, blockage of the intestine. Tablets take the best, squeezed enough liquid. Buscopan is contraindicated in atony of smooth muscle organs, tachyarrhythmias, acute urinary retention. In addition, it is necessary to take into account common contraindications for all laxatives. The medicine is washed down with a small amount of water.
The laxative effect develops after hours of losing weight therapy. The tool is taken at bedtime, inside, washed down with boiled water. The action develops, after hours after taking the medicine. Usually the action develops within hours after laxative therapy.
It is shown when blockage of the lower intestine hardened fecal masses. The effect of the drug develops already after minutes after the procedure. The broth is perishable, so a fresh portion of the medicine is required to be prepared each time anew. Thus, even a single use of fast-acting laxatives is prohibited when: At the same time, the patient loses the ability to perform the act of deification on his own, without the use of drugs.