After a heavy feast or against the background of alcohol abuse there was a sharp pain under the ribs, extending to the back? At one glance at fatty foods does vomiting arise? Immediately you need to seek medical help – it is likely that this is acute pancreatitis, and here the delay is like death!
Symptoms and Causes
Inflammation of the pancreas occurs due to the overlapping ducts stones from the gallbladder.
This disease occurs because the pancreatic ducts completely overlap with stones from the gallbladder, a cyst or a tumor. The natural circulation of digestive enzymes into the small intestine and into the duodenum is disturbed, the own enzymes begin to digest the pancreas, and its self-destruction begins.
This condition requires emergency hospitalization in the department of surgery, since the mortality rate for pancreatonecrosis reaches 50%. If time does not begin treatment of inflammation of the pancreas, the enzymes will destroy not only its tissues, but also nearby organs.
The hardest consequences of this are: bleeding, inflammation of the peritoneum (peritonitis), shock, ending in death. With timely medical care provided, one can hope for full recovery, unless the patient has contributed to the destruction of the gland tissue by excessive drinking. There is also a chronic form of pancreatitis – the destruction of gland tissues that has been developing for several years. This state is irreversible, it will not be possible to regain lost health. Symptoms for suspecting the onset of pancreatitis are quite vivid, especially in acute inflammation:
- Girdle pain, or the feeling of a “hammered stake” in the epigastric region, dull, intense pain, sometimes radiating to the left scapula, as in myocardial infarction.
- Wet, bluish skin, sometimes with the appearance of jaundice.
- Cyanosis in the navel.
- Nausea, vomiting.
- Intestinal obstruction.
- Oily fetid stool, which is molded with fat (in chronic pancreatitis), caused by the absence of an enzyme such as lipase, and the inability to digest fats.
- Dramatic weight loss and signs of avitaminosis in chronic form of the disease.
Causes of acute pancreatitis can be alcohol abuse, gallstone disease, structural features of the pancreas, estrogen and antibiotics. The factor provoking an attack often becomes a plentiful feast with a large amount of fatty, fried, spicy food in combination with a large dose of alcohol.
You will learn more about the symptoms of pancreatic inflammation from the video:
Diagnosis of pancreatitis
Abdominal ultrasound is one way to diagnose pancreatitis.
The therapist, surgeon, gastroenterologist – doctors, whose competence includes the ability to recognize and diagnose this dangerous disease. Before you begin treating inflammation of the pancreas, which is carried out exclusively in the hospital, you need to conduct laboratory and instrumental studies using medical equipment:
- A blood test to determine the level of amylase and lipase – pancreatic enzymes, their elevated level – a sign of pancreatitis.
- Complete blood count, where an increase in leukocyte levels indicates the presence of an inflammatory process.
- Analysis of bilirubin, its increase indicates the clogging of the bile duct.
- Analysis of liver enzymes, an increase in their activity is a sign of pancreatitis caused by blockage of duct with gallstone.
- Analysis of feces for the presence of fat will help to accurately determine the disease.
- MRI can diagnose the cause of acute pain, detect signs of pancreatic necrosis, fluid accumulation around the pancreas, and intestinal obstruction.
- Ultrasound of the abdominal cavity determines the increase in duct, the position of gallstones.
- Endoscopy of the pancreatic duct, in addition to diagnosing and analyzing its structure, can help expand this duct and remove gallstones.
- Endoscopic ultrasound, using a probe inserted into the stomach, will quickly help to clarify the presence of stones in the gland ducts.
After analyzing the history and research data, the doctor will be able to prescribe an individualized treatment plan.
Operation indications for
The intervention of the surgeon in acute pancreatitis is used in extreme cases, since surgery on this organ can lead to significant damage to the gland. When a part of the tissue dies off (pancreatic neurosis), an operation is urgently needed to remove a part of the gland. If the gland duct is blocked with stones, then in addition to the traditional method of removing them, laparoscopy may be used as a less traumatic method of surgical intervention.
If you have to remove the pancreas completely, there must be a good reason for making such a decision, since this operation is very complex, with frequent complications, high mortality rates. Enzymes of the gland, penetrating the bloodstream, cause lightning-fast shock, hitting the neighboring organs, contribute to their breakdown. After the operation to remove the gland, you will have to constantly compensate for the lack of enzymes and hormones by taking medications.
Drug therapy for pancreatitis
Pancreatin is an enzyme used in chronic pancreatitis.
In acute pancreatitis, first of all, you need to stop eating for a few days. Support the body through intravenous infusion of nutrient solutions: sodium bicarbonate, glucose, gemodez, the introduction of albumin, blood plasma. Allowed only to drink plenty of alkaline water without gas.
In hemorrhagic pancreatic necrosis, the most severe form of pancreatitis, shock doses of Trasilol, Gordox, Kontrikal are used to suppress the activity of enzymes and reduce the rate of their synthesis. For the same purpose, intragastric hypothermia is applied, cold is applied to the projection area of the gland. The use of antibiotics will help to cope with the infection in case of complications. Auxiliary methods are laser irradiation, plasmapheresis to remove toxins from the body. For edematous and chronic pancreatitis are used:
- antispasmodics (Eufillin, Drotaverin, Nitroglycerin)
- cytostatics (cyclophosphamide, vincristine)
- anticholinergics (Atropine, Pentoxyl, Scopolamine, Methyluracil)
- enzymes (Pancreatin, Mezim, Festal, Methionon)
- antibiotics for the prevention of infection (Carbennicillin, Kanamycin, Trichopol, Tobramycin)
- antihistamines (Promethazine, Chloropyramine)
If the occurrence of diabetes is a complication of pancreatitis, the treatment is carried out according to the endocrinologist’s prescription. Complications of chronic pancreatitis can also become cysts and malignant tumors of the pancreas. Since they are hormone-active neoplasms, their appearance can be diagnosed in addition to ultrasound and MRI examinations, as well as to secrete an excessive amount of hormones.
Help yourself – we use popular experience
Broth wormwood helps produce bile and normalize the gland.
The use of traditional medicine can complement the treatment of inflammation of the pancreas in remission. The therapeutic effect is achieved slowly, but very gently and without side effects, therefore, using folk remedies, you need to be patient. You can try to facilitate the well-being of various tinctures, decoctions, herbal:
- Oatmeal jelly. Grains of oats sprouted in a warm place should be washed, dried, ground. Stir the oatmeal with cool water, then pour boiling water, heat to a long boil (1-2 minutes). To sustain 20-30 minutes, drink only freshly prepared, store, can not be reheated.
- The roots of burdock, elecampane, chamomile and calendula flowers, the herb of St. John’s wort, sage, wormwood, corn sticks, train, horsetail mix, take one tablespoon of this collection, pour boiling water, insist, drain. Take only with the chronic form of the disease for half an hour before meals 100-150 ml.
- Decoction of wormwood (1 tbsp. Spoon of dried wormwood boil for 5 minutes, insist 25-30 minutes) will help the development of bile and normalization of the gland. Take before meals for 1-2 tbsp. spoons.
- For the same purpose serves as an infusion of burdock, dandelion and licorice root. One Art. a spoonful of this collection pour boiling water, insist 30-40 minutes, strain, drink 100 ml before a meal in hot form.
- For pain relief in acute exacerbations of the chronic form of the disease, Japanese Sophora infusion can be used. 1-2 tablespoons of grass is poured into a thermos 300 ml of boiling water. Insist 3-4 hours, drink warm before meals. Sofora treatment can not last more than 10 days,
Whether or not to use these recipes is a personal matter. The main thing is to supplement, and not replace with these agents, the treatment prescribed by the doctor, to adhere to the diet.
Diet, as part of a comprehensive treatment
Diet is a very important step in the treatment of pancreatitis.
Properly selected menu can perfectly complement the treatment of inflammation of the pancreas. To comply with the requirements of nutritionists, the following principles should be followed:
- All food should be only at room temperature, deviations are not allowed.
- For the first six months, all dishes are prepared only for a couple, without adding butter. Boiled and stews will appear in the menu a little later.
- Fried and smoked will not appear, most likely never.
- Coarse fiber, products that cause increased gas formation (legumes, radish) are also strictly prohibited.
- Food frequent, fractional, in small portions, the products are freshly prepared.
- Food has a neutral taste, no pickling, spices, pickles, food additives.
Such a diet should be a companion to the life of a patient with pancreatitis for 6-9 months, until the termination of exacerbations. This does not mean that you can eat absolutely everything. Any significant deviation from the mode and composition of food can cause a new attack of the disease. Strictly prohibited: alcohol, caffeine, rich broths, fatty fish, meat, cabbage, fresh bread and pastries, pastries, soda, mushrooms, cabbage, eggs, pickle caviar. Recommended for feeding the patient with pancreatitis:
- Porridge, cooked not on milk, but on water, especially oatmeal ("oat-flakes"), but millet is considered heavy.
- Mashed soups, boiled pasta.
- Fish low-fat varieties (pike, pike perch, crucian carp, bream).
- Low fat dairy products, especially cottage cheese.
- Dried bread, crackers.
- Stewed, boiled, steamed vegetables.
- Honey, natural marshmallows and marmalade.
- Lean meat: rabbit, turkey, chicken.
To prevent the occurrence of this serious disease, you need to follow a moderate diet, do not abuse alcohol, avoid injuries. Inflammation of the pancreas is treated under the supervision of a physician, in a hospital setting, using a wide range of drugs and procedures. In the period of remission on the advice of a specialist, folk remedies can be used to consolidate the effect. Strict dieting will help avoid complications and the return of disease attacks.
Noticed a mistake? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter to tell us.