Diet for pancreas – description and general principles
The pancreas is a very important organ, whose functions include the production of enzymes necessary for the digestion of food entering the intestines, and the production of insulin, due to the lack of which, as we know, diabetes occurs.
Diseases of the pancreas are expressed in the appearance of pain, nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, etc. Such patients are prescribed a sparing diet that does not contain alcohol, fatty, sweet, carbohydrate-rich foods and fried foods, as well as products containing coarse fiber and extractives that stimulate the secretion of digestive juices.
Diet for the pancreas is based on regular and frequent, six times a meal. In this case, the portions should be small so as not to burden the pancreas.
Food is steamed, boiled or stewed. It should not contain much fiber. Before use, it should be cooled to a temperature of from 30 to 60 degrees, in order to prevent irritation of the stomach and the load on the digestive glands.
Salt is limited, if possible exclude completely. Also dramatically reduce the amount of fats and simple carbohydrates, which are especially rich in sugar or pastries, while increasing in the diet the amount of protein-rich foods – meat (low-fat), fish, and dairy products. Animal protein should be one third of the diet.
The energy value of such a diet should be no more than 1800 kcal.
Dishes with a diet for the pancreas should be liquid and semi-liquid, in the form of porridge on water, vegetable and cereal soups, etc.
Diet for the pancreas should be followed for about a year after the attacks of the disease. Then a gradual expansion of the diet and the inclusion in the diet of more diverse foods. For exacerbations, it is advisable for several days to completely abandon the meal and switch to drinking pure water or mineral water without gas.
Pancreas Diet – What Foods Can I Eat?
With a diet for the pancreas is allowed to use:
1. Baked goods in the form of wheat bread from the previous day of baking or dried.
2. Soups, vegetables (only not from white cabbage) and cereals.
3. Appetizers in the form of salads from fresh and boiled vegetables.
4. Meat and poultry low-fat varieties (in the form of beef, veal, chicken, etc.).
5. Fish low-fat varieties.
6. Boiled eggs or cooked in the form of a steam omelet.
7. Dairy products in the form of acid cottage cheese, cottage cheese puddings, yogurt, sour cream (for dressing dishes).
8. Cereals (semolina, rice, wheat, buckwheat, barley, oat).
9. Dough products in the form of pasta made from high-grade flour or homemade noodles.
10. Vegetables in the form of potatoes, carrots, beets, pumpkins, zucchini, cauliflower, green lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peas. Very useful in diseases of the pancreas seaweed, rich in cobalt and nickel.
11. Ripe fruits, berries (not sour).
12. Sweet dishes in the form of jelly and compotes.
13. Fats in the form of butter and vegetable oil.
14. Drinks in the form of tea with milk, rosehip broth, fruit and berry juices.
When following a diet for the pancreas, it is necessary to remember about the drinking regime. Since the restoration of the pancreas is accompanied by large losses of water, drinking should be abundant. In addition, the normalization of the bowel also occurs more actively when the body receives a sufficient amount of fluid.
Patients with diseases of the pancreas due to its poor functioning and due to changes in diet often suffer from digestive disorders. To normalize his work is extremely important to observe the diet and eat regularly, often in small portions.
Diet for the pancreas – which foods should not be consumed
When diseases of the pancreas is prohibited to use:
1. Rye bread and muffin.
2. Soups in the form of sour soup, borscht, as well as strong meat, fish, mushroom broths and vegetable broths.
3. Salty, spicy, spicy snacks and canned food.
4. Fatty meats and poultry (lamb, pork, duck, goose), smoked meats, sausages.
5. Fatty fish.
6. Eggs, hard-boiled and in the form of fried eggs.
7. Fried curd dishes (for example, in the form of cheesecakes).
9. Products from dough in the form of pies, pancakes, fritters, pastries.
10. Vegetables in the form of white cabbage, radishes, radishes, sorrel, raw onions, peas, beans, beans, pickled vegetables.
11. Sour berries and fruits, as well as fruits that contain large amounts of easily digestible carbohydrates, which can cause intestinal swelling (bananas, grapes, dates).
12. Sweet dishes in the form of ice cream, and sweets in large quantities in the form of jam, sugar, honey, chocolate.
13. Fats in the form of fat and ghee.
14. Drinks in the form of carbonated water, natural coffee, cocoa.
Pancreas Diet – menu examples
The first breakfast consists of cottage cheese with milk (or porridge cooked in milk from authorized cereals, or boiled potatoes with boiled lean meat (boiled lean fish) or protein omelet), as well as semi-sweet tea.
The second breakfast consists of an apple or cottage cheese.
Lunch consists of a vegetarian soup (vegetable, cereal or milk), boiled chicken (or meat, fish, steam cutlets), porridge or potato (carrot) puree, jelly (or compote, fresh berries or fruit).
Tea time consists of their kefir or juice.
Dinner consists of a cottage cheese dish (or porridge, boiled potatoes, an omelet of protein, boiled fish).
At bedtime, drink a glass of kefir or yogurt.
Pancreas Diet – Tips and Testimonials
It is important to remember that the diet for the pancreas should be observed not only during exacerbations, but also after the cessation of attacks of pancreatitis, otherwise it can be very harmful to her and cause more serious diseases.
During treatment should take care not only about proper nutrition. It is also necessary to exclude heavy physical exertion, not to overwork and avoid colds.