How to lose weight when breastfeeding and return to the "pre-pregnancy" weight? Are diets recommended by a nursing mother that do not harm the baby? What are the features of the return of harmony after natural childbirth and cesarean section?
Dozens of questions, and each of them concerns female beauty! Of course, because the months of pregnancy and the restrictions associated with it are over. So you want to feel again like a woman, beautiful and desirable. But excess weight does not allow to gain confidence. Typed during the carrying of the baby, it seems he is firmly entrenched in your waist and hips.
The nature of excess weight during pregnancy
In fact, there is nothing surprising in gaining weight while carrying a child. Nature has programmed the female body to actively create fat reserves during this period. They are formed to perform two tasks.
First, in order to protect the crumbs inside your body from injury in the event of a fall or injury to your mother. Secondly, to accumulate reserves for high-grade breastfeeding, regardless of external conditions – the caloric content of the mother’s diet, the availability of food for her. Your fat reserves serve as a guarantor of the health of the baby during fetal development and after birth.
Weight gain in future moms occurs with different intensity. It is considered normal to increase the weight before the weight of another five to twenty-five kilograms. Not all of this amount is formed by adipose tissue: there is an enlarged uterus, and several liters of amniotic fluid, and the weight of the baby itself. Only after childbirth, you can finally assess the mass gained.
According to nutritionist Rimma Moisenko, women are more likely to retain curvaceous after pregnancy, subject to misinformation by older relatives. “Pregnant mothers often develop behavioral habits, including due to the influence of grandmothers and other“ experienced ”relatives. They are persuaded to eat for two, to move a little, to rest and sleep more. This leads to increased fat accumulation, which is much more difficult to handle. ”
Predisposed women are also susceptible to this due to various reasons.
- Genetic features. With a high degree of probability, you will have an overweight problem if your relatives (mother, grandmother) are stout after birth. But this does not mean that "children’s" body fat will remain for life.
- Wrong food addictions. “It will be much easier to lose weight those who, before pregnancy, learned to manage their own weight, not by means of strict diets, but by forming correct eating habits,” continues Rimma Moisenko. “In this case, both being pregnant and becoming a mother, a woman will adhere to a proper, balanced diet, which will allow her to quickly get in shape.”
- Hormonal disorders. Often the problem of overweight worries moms who have undergone IVF procedure for conception. It can cause diabetes or the use of birth control pills before pregnancy. In the presence of hormonal disorders, it is more difficult to fight overweight, but if you support breastfeeding, it will return to normal.
Mom’s tactics: 3 conditions
On the question of how to lose weight during lactation, consultants for GW answer simply: breastfeed! Oddly enough, but it is this natural process that leads to a smooth and mandatory reduction in gained weight. And regardless of whether you gave birth in a natural or artificial way.
Slimming a nursing mother is provided under several conditions.
- You feed on demand. In this case, the volume of milk produced by your body is maximum. Every day for its production, your body uses about 600 Kcal. That is, one third of the calories from your daily diet is used to feed the child. By reducing the level of lactation (previously the introduction of a supplement, feeding “according to the regime”), the amount of calories consumed per production of breast milk also decreases.
- Your child is developing normally. It is proved that the composition of breast milk ideally meets the needs of each individual child. If the baby is healthy, he is gaining weight well, he begins to actively move closer to six months, the food for him is enriched with nutrients to a greater extent than for the crumbs with a lag in development. “If the child is late, inactive, the composition of breast milk for him remains at the level characteristic of the initial period of development,” specifies the GW consultant Maria Gudanova. – And mom’s weight loss can be delayed.
- You eat right. The most common mistakes of a young mother that do not allow her to lose weight are eating too much or, on the contrary, too little. In the first case, the body does not have time to transform the received calories into energy and stores them in the form of fat. In the second, it acts in a similar way, since at the genetic level the fear of hunger is laid in our body when feeding offspring is necessary. If there is little food, the body begins to store fat "for a rainy day" so that the child does not suffer if there is no food.
“Any diet during lactation will harm your child,” said obstetrician-gynecologist of the Moscow Peritoneal Center Anna Belousova. “Eating right and eating with restrictions is two different things.”
Breastfeeding counselor Maria Gudanova agrees with her. “Nature has programmed the only mechanism for losing weight to a nursing mother without harm to the child. This is a long-term natural feeding, which will help excess weight to go to the moment of lactation involution. "
However, we can help our body cope with excess fat deposits. To lose weight during breastfeeding without harming the child, you should review your menu, adjust lifestyle and habits.
Many young mothers confuse good nutrition with high-calorie. A full and balanced diet includes all types of products: dairy, cereal, meat, vegetables and fruits. That is, the products of these types should be present in the menu of the nursing mother, and which products should be solved by herself.
For example, dairy products are not necessarily fatty homemade milk. Instead, a woman can use low-fat cottage cheese or homemade natural yogurt. By the way, dairy products containing probiotics are important not only for the health of the mother, but also for the baby’s body. The work of the intestines in a pair of "mother-baby" is completely identical. And if the mother has no problems with the intestines, it means that the child will be fine with him.
Here are some more rules that ensure weight loss during breastfeeding after cesarean and natural childbirth.
- Fats are needed. They are required for normal functioning of the nervous system, and when they are deficient, the woman begins to tire quickly and becomes irritable. But there are different fats! Fats of animal origin, as well as trans fats contained in baking and confectionery products, really settle at the waist. Vegetable fat in the form of a spoon of olive oil in a vegetable salad, will support your health.
- Sweet – you can. In the production of breast milk, the body actively takes glucose from the blood. This leads to a deterioration of brain activity, causes apathy in women. To prevent this, you can and should eat sweet foods. One has only to remember that sugar is contained not only in cakes and cookies, but also in all fruits, including sweet pears, apples, peaches, and grapes.
- Food without preservatives. A safe diet for weight loss during breastfeeding, according to expert reviews, does not contain sausages, canned foods, smoked and long-stored foods. All of them contain substances potentially hazardous to the health of the child, as they provoke allergic reactions. Instead, eat completely safe and low-calorie meat and fish in boiled form.
- No – monotonous food. According to nutritionist Rimma Moisenko, the main enemy of female harmony after childbirth is monotonous and monotonous food. “It is unacceptable to sit on any diets that cause psychological stress, and do more harm than any products. You need to eat animal protein, two or three times a week to eat red meat. Eat non-starchy vegetables – regular and leafy, at least half a kilo per day. These products have a negative calorie content and stimulate intestinal motility. Use cereals, dark bread, pasta – foods high in B vitamins and creating a long-lasting feeling of satiety. Snack fruit and nuts twice a day. ”
During pregnancy, women are often limited in fluid intake, citing the excessive load on the kidneys. For effective weight loss, it is important to bring the drinking regime to a physiological level.
Normal fluid intake is 30 ml per kilogram of adult weight. A nursing mother can safely add to this figure another liter, leaving directly to the production of milk. Fluid consumption is necessary for the normalization of metabolism and weight loss. But liquids, like food, are different!
- Clean drinking water. Use non-carbonated purified water throughout the day. It will improve the work of the intestines, clean it from slags, increase the intensity of metabolic processes.
- Herbal teas, fruit drinks. These drinks will support the body with liquid and will like you to taste.
- No – sweet soda. All drinks containing sugar bring the body an extraordinary amount of calories in an easily accessible form. They quickly transform into fat and reduce the likelihood of losing weight.
The importance of slimming fluid should not be underestimated. In addition, it is necessary for lactation, so try to observe the drinking regime daily.
It is difficult to imagine a nursing mother, who makes time for full-fledged daily sports training. But this is not necessary!
- 15 minutes a day. It is this time that will allow a woman to get herself in good physical shape. “Dedicate just 15 minutes to sports, such as yoga, do some familiar exercises,” advises the obstetrician-gynecologist Anna Belousova. “In combination with daily walks with a stroller, you will ensure sufficient physical activity.”
- Moderate load. Nursing mom can do any sport that she preferred before. The main thing is that training is not tedious. According to Inna Kondratieva, a breastfeeding consultant, moderate exercise helps a woman to lose weight and gain well-being. Excluded only those sports that cause severe fatigue.
- Swimming pool, sauna. One and a half months after giving birth, a mother can once again visit the pool and sauna, if earlier they helped her to maintain slenderness. And use cosmetic procedures from cellulite, to improve skin condition. A good solution to the question of how to lose weight when breastfeeding – using food film. Wrap the “problem areas” with it, for example, the stomach and hips, and sit in the steam room for 20-30 minutes.
Regular exercise, the ability to devote yourself a couple of hours a week is much more effective in losing weight than dietary restrictions.
Overweight after childbirth will definitely go away if you are breastfeeding. Much more quickly gained kilograms "melt" in women who do not fixate on them, do not worry about "lost harmony". The process of losing weight does not directly depend on the quantity, but on the quality of your diet, drinking regime and physical exertion. Add to this a complete rest and positive emotions, and in a few months you will forget about those extra pounds!